The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Iver Johnson's cycle works hammerless revolver that I bought in an auction a while back and would like to know more info on it. It was sold as a .32 but i'm not sure. I believe its a 3rd generation revolver. There is no safety lever on the trigger. Serial number on the trigger guard is 7 6666 and the serial # under the grip is D7 6666. The weird d part is on the bottom of the grip it says "Pat. Nov. 17 03" next line down says "Pat. SS Pending" ANy info anyone could provide would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

SN D76666 1s a large frame 3rd model hammerless made in 1919.

The correct caliber is .38 S&W and that patent date was marked on the butt 1914-1941.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the welcome. One thing though, the grip has a pretty readable 03 on the bottom. only the one date.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 03 is actually a poorly stamped 08. I.J. changed the patent date markings several times.
Oh, ok. thanks for your help! So this should be safe to shoot with modern ammunition as long as the gun is in good enough shape right?

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
The gun was manufactured for use with modern smokeless ammunition, 38 S&W, Do not use .38 Special, even if it fits. Many of the cylinders of these old guns were straight bored which makes it possible for the .38 Special to be improperly chambered. Very bad karma.

·
Premium Member
19,878 Posts
You can still find that 38 s&w. They still make it. They had it at a LGS friday here. That's about all they had.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts