The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,

I inherited a revolver with the following markings:

Stainless steel w/ hard plastic grips with an owl on top of the grips...the chamber is free wheeling and it has a hammer...

I believe it is a .38 caliber as a .38 S&W fits perfectly....it has a 3.5 inch barrel...On top of the barrel it says Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works, Fitchburg MA USA....

On the handle frame (the butt) is says Pat Nov 17 and Pats Pending...

Under the left grip and on the trigger guard is a number: 3 8070

there are no other markings....the revolver is in good shape...

any info especially model type and mfg year would be helpful...

thank you ... Steve

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

The patent date and location indicate a third model made 1914-1941 (there should be .08 after the Nov 17)

It should have a coil mainspring and the serial marked on left grip frame should have a letter prefix that identifies year made.

Finish is probably nickel plate and will not be stainless steel!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding...I took the left grip off again and it looks like the letter "H"....there is a coil main spring....will the mfg date help tell the model name?

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Thank you for responding...I took the left grip off again and it looks like the letter "H"....there is a coil main spring....will the mfg date help tell the model name?
Iver Johnson listed these as the "Safety Automatic" model, and large frame hammer .38 S&W caliber serial no. H 38070 was made in 1921. ("automatic" referred to the auto ejector)

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Pictures would help a lot. With it being made in 1921 it would be safe to fire smokeless cartridges with it depending on it's condition.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you all for your expertise, I will post pictures next time and will do so for the Hopkins and Allen shortly....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts