Iver Johnson's Revolver Info

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rpmanfredo, Sep 30, 2008.

1. rpmanfredo

rpmanfredo New Member

I have a Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works revolver that is quite old. The S/N is 33755. it is a 7-shot, 22 LR top break model. Any idea how old it is and where I can find the model number?

Ralph

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

iver johnson's arms & cycle works actually made two 7 shot 22 rimfire top break revolvers. a large frame called the 22 supershot and a small frame (no model name mmarked on it) safety automatic revolver. i supect you have the small frame safety automatic revolver. remove the grips and look for a serial number (and possibly a letter code prefix) on the left side of the grip frame. it would also help to know if there are any patent dates ont the top of the barrel, left side of the barrel or the bottom of the butt.
    bill

ps, there were also several 7 shot 22 rimfire solid frame models but they rarely had the company's full name marked on them.

3. dogngun

dogngun New Member

Be very careful removing the grips! they were made of rubber and they become very brittle over time. If you crack or chip onef, you will have a very hard and expensive time trying to find a replacement.

Remove the screw and carefully work a thin blade under the grip to try to lift it up and off.

mark

4. rpmanfredo

rpmanfredo New Member

You are correct, it is a small frame safety automatic. I did try to remove the grips with little success. One screw was fairly easy to remove, but when I tried to remove the second screw, the threaded ferrule rotates. I took it to a local gun shop and they tried with little luck. They were afraid to do more because the gun is so old they were afraid they may cause some damage. Any suggestions on what lube I should use, WD40, penetrating oil? I'm going to try again, but this time I will try and slip a thin blade under the grip and put some tension on the grip to see if that will stop the ferrule from rotating. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW, On the grips on my handgun the owl is not looking towards the barrel, it is looking down at the but of the grip. Does that mean anything. Here are photos showing the complete Handgun, the Grip and the Trigger Guard with the S/N.

Break Lever Including Rear of Cylinder and Grip with Owl.jpg Full Photo of Hand Gun 1.JPG Grip Showing Hammer and Owl Logo.jpg SN on Trigger Guard.jpg

5. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum rpman. You are answering a thread that is over 7 years old. It doesn't really matter, but I thought I would let you know that you are "talking" to a guy who hasn't visited TFF in three years.

6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

gd he's talking to himself!

rpman it's a 3rd model made sometime 1909-1941, but to determine year remove left grip and post a photo of the serial with letter prefix on grip frame.

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Dang sho-is! Thanks, I didn't go to the top of the page, just to the guy he quoted!