The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.

I recently acquired an Iver and Johnson 5 shot .38 Special with a 4" barrel and am having difficulty finding any information about it or even if it exists.

I actually have seen 2 pictures online, but that is all.

Here's the info on the revolver:

The left side of the barrel is stamped ".38 SPL".

On the left side just above the trigger guard is stamped "Iver Johnson" and below that is "Fitchburg Mass. USA".

On the left side of the grip is "424" and on the right is the letter "J".

On the right side above the trigger guard is the serial number "J13808".

There are no further markings visible.

I am looking for replacement hand grips and the rear sight.

If anyone could direct me to a site or someone who could be of assistance I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, but it appears my gun is not a Model 55 SA, at least from going through their web site with various search criteria with no luck.

The 55 SA on their site was .22 not . 38 Special.

Thanks again and I am still open to any suggestions.

Take care.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Thanks for the info, but it appears my gun is not a Model 55 SA, at least from going through their web site with various search criteria with no luck.

The 55 SA on their site was .22 not . 38 Special.

Thanks again and I am still open to any suggestions.

Take care.
The .38 Special caliber Model 55 SA was introduced in 1975. But The I. J. 50 series revolvers made in 1970s were produced in several models and names, and after further comparison of your gun to those shown in Goforth's I.J. book, I think yours is the "Bulldog" variation, as the 55 and 57 models did not have the flat barrel rib.

Any of the 50 series grips should fit your gun, but your real need is the rear sight. It wouldn't hurt to contact Numrich's customer Service Dept. as they sometimes have parts not listed.

You can also register and post on their 'parts wanted' forum:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/forum/Hand-Guns/Hand-Guns.htm

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.