The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading your forum about Ivers Johnson and have not been able to get info I need. Of all the places with information this is the best I have seen.
I am cleaning an inheirted Ivers Johnson pistol for a friend and would like to get information about it for her.
It's a nickel plated (95% wore off), 38 Cal, 5 shot, double locking latches, safety in trigger, flat main spring. All information located on top of barrel rib. Serial number located on bottom of butt-- 14585.
No other marking can be found. Nothing located under grips. Owl head facing toward barrel.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

Your description indicates an antique large frame hammerless second model made in 1895.

The serial number should also be under the top strap when cylinder is removed.

Caliber was black powder .38 S&W cartridge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hrf
Thank you. I was pleasently surprised that I got my reply so quick!!!
Under the top strap is the one place I never looked for info and I should know better. Of all the fire arms I have handled this is my first Ivers Johnson. I'm impressed at the quality of a revolver that over 100 years old. Am I correct that the cylinder was to be remover by rotating it counter clock wise so it would unscrew from the upper group/barrel. I also thought it was worn or broke because the cylinder truned freely untill the trigger was ingaged only to see that was the way they were made. Interesting. Boy would I love to shoot it!!!!
Thanks again
CSM

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Am I correct that the cylinder was to be remover by rotating it counter clock wise so it would unscrew from the upper group/barrel.
Yes, that's correct.

(There's no s in Iver Johnson's name. He was a Norwegian immigrant.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Iver Johnson Pistol

hrf
Oops.
Thanks. Spelling and typing are not my for strong suit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts