The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Banned
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your thoughts when you see a revolver or even a pistol with ivory grips? I'm still waiting for my ivory grips to arrive in the mail from altamont. They say they make the grips for colt and buck knives etc

· Banned
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Their going on a stainless gun but the stainless is the high gloss stainless. It will look like one of those 6 guns that Val Kilmer had when he was playing doc Holliday on tombstone. I know what you mean by a regular stainless if that's just what your saying

· Registered
463 Posts
No doubt they are beautiful grips. However when I bought my Second Generation Colt SAA, two years later my wife bought as a birthday gift a pair of elephant ivory grips for it. IIRC they were made by a company called GunArt in N.J. It didn't take long while shooting on hot summer days to tell that the ivory became slick and hard to control. I soon settled on a pair of Franzite faux stag grips from Ebay ($13 delivered) and these are what I use mostly now. However if I belonged to the crowd that have Bar-B-Que guns, I would soon go back to the ivories. One thing for sure you won't lose any money on them.

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
No doubt they are beautiful grips. However when I bought my Second Generation Colt SAA, two years later my wife bought as a birthday gift a pair of elephant ivory grips for it. IIRC they were made by a company called GunArt in N.J. It didn't take long while shooting on hot summer days to tell that the ivory became slick and hard to control. I soon settled on a pair of Franzite faux stag grips from Ebay ($13 delivered) and these are what I use mostly now. However if I belonged to the crowd that have Bar-B-Que guns, I would soon go back to the ivories. One thing for sure you won't lose any money on them.
You will run into this with all smooth grips, be they ivory, plastic, or wood. A lesson I had to learn!

· Registered
463 Posts
Yes, this is true, but my Ruger original model Bisley Vaquero .44 Mag came with (I think) smooth Brazilian rosewood grips and its solid as a rock regardless of climate conditions. If the ivory grips were checkered, full or partial, that might take care of the problem.

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
Yes, this is true, but my Ruger original model Bisley Vaquero .44 Mag came with (I think) smooth Brazilian rosewood grips and its solid as a rock regardless of climate conditions. If the ivory grips were checkered, full or partial, that might take care of the problem.
There ya go! I bought a pair of Olive Wood grips from woodnut, I love them, but they are slick, and the gun moves around in my hand when shooting it. I put them on a 1911A, and will be getting woodnut to fix them for me by adding a Badlands Texture stippeling pattern to the grips. http://cwallaceltd.jalbum.net/Custom Work/

· Registered
463 Posts
Forgot to mention that (I think) it was in Keith's book, "Sixguns", he gave his choices for grips as, in descending order, #1 Stag, #2 Ivory, and #3 rosewood. Not trying to make a point, just popped into my mind, what I have left.

· Super Moderator
45,425 Posts
I have a set of grips on one of my 1911's that is made out of Big Horn Sheep horns that look like ivory.

I have tried my best to post a picture, but the TFF system just will not allow me to post any more!! I guess I am going to have to start using photobucket for pictures.

· Premium Member
12,962 Posts
Im sure the picture issue will be worked out soon George.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.