The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have studied my SS check, and the XDS aint going to happen.

So I need something to conceal the Glock 17 better, and am looking at an IWB rig.
And I need something that is a lot less than half the price of the XDS I wanted, too, which eliminates a surprising number of holsters.

For sweat as well as price, I probably will not be going to leather.

I just perused Fobus, who have one IWB -
Twenty bucks - good warranty -

But it has no sweat shield; the metal slide would rest on my delicate white skin, undoubtedly corroding from my copious sweat in the summer.

And then I watched the video for how to wear it.
Only the top clip on the belt is exposed when your shirt is tucked in - that's cool.
But what does Fobus put on that top clip?
A big red circle with FOBUS HOLSTERS written inside it.

Some concealment!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Terry, I wouldnt discount leather. A good leather holster will take a lot of abuse. Try horse hide. I know a good leather holster is not as cheap as some of the other options, but there are some good ones out there and in my opinion well worth the money. I spent about $100 on mine and think it was a good investment.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Crossbreed Supertuck has worked great for me...and if cost is an issue, check out crossbreedseconds.com where they sell their factory blemish holsters.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, guys!

Sounds like you feel it is leather, hands down.

I know I will need a sweat shield - and a GOOD one.

I like the looks of the Supertuck, and that lifetime warrantee is sure attractive!

My experience with leather and sweat is limited to Horse tack. With that, you soak the HECK out of it in 100% pure Neatsfoot Oil, but that makes it a bit more supple. My previous leather holsters are low slung quick-draw style, and being a little more supple did not harm them at all - but may not do for a formed leather holster like this -
What do you do to protect it from sweat?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Terry, I dont do anything to my holsters or my belts. Neither have given me any problems. My original belt was worn daily for 4-5 years working on the farm, so it stayed soaked by sweat and rain. I used a differant buckle than what came on it, and that helped it last some, but as for the leather, it wasnt cracked, weak, or showed any other signs of degradation. It never got any kind of treatment. The cowboy style buckle I used help prolong the belt simply because I wasnt bending it back like I would with a traditional buckle.

I would have worn it more, but sadly it shrunk....... It had to have..... I know my pants did too.... That's an odd coincidence. :D

I will say one more thing about my rig. Mine is boned in so well and fitted(it also has a netal band to keep the mouth open for easier holstering) well enough, I can flip it upside down and shake it without it falling out. It doesnt need the adjustable retention screw that I see a lot of people putting on thier rigs.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I haven't done anything to my Supertuck to protect it from sweat. The leather is fairly supple as it is, but if you're worried about it get horse hide.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I have one IWB holster and its a croosbreed. Its really a great holster if you like IWB carry. Im with 64 on this, buy a good one, buy crossbreed....

·
Registered
233 Posts
I use a IWB holster every day. My favorites are made locally by ALESSI HOLSTERS. They have a website, and will mail order anything. I've had them customize a stock holster for me ( no charge ) and they once repaired one for me that I damaged again for free. Very good people, and TOP QUALITY all the way. I have nothing but good things to say about their products, and I own several. Give them a look.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Darned post did not make the trip!
After your post, Dan, I ordered one!
Got the horsehide -
(With appologies to all of our past and present gallant steeds!!)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Darned post did not make the trip!
After your post, Dan, I ordered one!
Got the horsehide -
(With appologies to all of our past and present gallant steeds!!)
Congrats, and you won't be sorry. They are worth the wait, and it's always nice when we can support a company that puts this on their website.
http://crossbreedholsters.com/About.aspx
Mark was often asked about the origin of the name CrossBreed® Holsters. He was never ashamed to answer that, although there is some reference to the hybrid nature of his designs, the larger meaning behind his company’s name references the Lord Jesus Christ and His sacrifice upon the cross which was made for all mankind.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
THANK YOU for that, norahc!!

I bought from them without even knowing that, too!!!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Let me know what you think about it, Terry.

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will do!

I LOVE to give reviews on items; positive OR negative, I want to get the word out!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I bought and tried 5 different holsters before I bought a Fobus. I tried 2 different IWB type. I just can't get used to the IWB, maybe it's the gun. I carry a Ruger SR40c, which is smaller than most compacts. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, I looked at Fobus for a long time before getting one. I bought an OWB paddle holster. It works like a charm. I can conceal the Ruger even under just a T-shirt. It rides up high on the waist, I've never experienced any of the problems with bad draw. I love it. And, for the price (I think I paid around $25) it's definitely worth the gamble.

Just read the rest of the comments... Crossbreed was the other holster I was seriously looking at. I think you'll like it. Yeah, be sure to bring a review!

·
Registered
981 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Here is my review on the Crossbreed Supertuck and the Crossbreed QuickClip.

I wear both on a daily basis, using the Supertuck for my G20SF and the QuickClip for my G29SF. I got the Supertuck about three years ago, and have worn it almost every day. The only time I don't wear it is when I carry my 1911 in an OWB holster. The Supertuck is so comfortable, you can almost forget you are wearing it and it has not gotten to the point that the only time I notice it is when I am not wearing it. I've only had the QuickClip for about a year, and I do tend to notice it just a slight bit more than the Supertuck.

Part of the reason for this is that the Quick Clip has one large plastic clip to attach to the belt, whereas the Supertuck comes with two metal clips that aren't as wide. This provides for better support to the front of the firearm and distributes the weight better. In addition, you can get different types of belt clips for the Supertuck including plastic J-clips and inside the belt velcro clips that are completely unnoticeable. If you decide to tuck in your shirt while wearing the QuickClip, the belt clip WILL be noticeable to anyone near you.

With the Supertuck, it is easier to adjust the height and cant of the holster. On the QuickClip, I had to put two more holes in the leather so I could adjust the height and cant to where I wanted it.

Adjusting retention is as simple as heating up the Kydex in the area of the trigger guard and pushing in or out to increase or decrease the tension.

I did not get either cut with the Combat cut because I figured I could shave the leather the way I wanted it if I found it necessary. I have done so with the QuickClip but not the Supertuck.

All in all, I don't think I could have found a more comfortable holster than the Supertuck - especially for a full sized firearm. In the three years that I've been wearing it, I've never had a customer notice that I was carrying.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts