The Firearms Forum banner

Izzy T-38 Mosin Carbine

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  moops 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got back from the gun show in Lincoln. Didn't really have the wants for anything but an M1 Carbine. Couldn't find any. But as I lurked around the milsurp tables I found this short, round recievered, Mosin carbine. It has a birch stock that looks more like what you would find on a Finn than most Mosins I have seen. The numbers on the bolt didn't match the rest. It was marked 1944 and had an Ishveck (spelling) stamp on the reciever and a bunch of other stamp marks. I noticed that the crown on the barrel was in perfect condition. Thought someone had done some garage refurbing. The bore was very good but full of cosmoline in the grooves. I had never seen a Mosin like this. It didn't have the bayonet like my m44's and wasn't nearly as clean as they were.
I bought it and carried it around the rest of the day. Luck was with me when I met a guy who was touted as a Mosin expert. He said the stock was correct and read all the faint stamp marks. He said what I had was a rearsenaled m 38 that had been refurbed and put in a box. Of course I am having more fun than a pig in a cabige patch cleaning and petting my new pup.
Can't wait to take it to the range. The bolt works smooth but will have a gunsmith check headspace and safety issues.
Today was a good day.;):)o_O

#2 ·
I feel kinda stupid that I called a Mosin m 38 a Mosin t 38 in the title.
Just illustrates that I'm a little more ignorant about Mosins than other C&R's.
Cleaned her up and the bore is really nice but the stock looks like it went to an ugly party. After the initial cleaning three hairline cracks showed up in the stock. Two parallel hairlines in the top piece and a big one behind the reciever tang. The bolt works smooth except the extractor snags before it seats. Will have to look at that more closely.
Don't know much about Mosins but looks like I"m going to have to go to school on field stripping.
It's still my newest best friend.
Thanks for being kind about my stupidity display.o_O:):rolleyes:

#4 ·
Thanks Firpo.
Don't know how to transfer pic from cell phone to computer.
Just a side note. I grew up in Corona. Our football coach made our team play Brea Linda every preseason. In the sixties Brea was top CIF Small School Football team for years. They whomped us something awful every year.:confused::D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.