J C Higgins Centerfire

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by cgcampbell, Apr 16, 2009.

1. cgcampbell

cgcampbell New Member

I recently saw a JC Higgins centerfire rifle in .243 caliber. It appeared to have a mauser action ?????, with checkered stock and forearm. It had a barrelband supporting the front signt with a very high post rear fold down sight. The barrel is machined for the rear sight. Can anyone tell me when this was made, who made it and what it might be worth. It looks like a quality gun. Thanks

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Is the model number a secret???? Sears did have FN Mauser actions actions barreled and stocked by High Standard. I believe the models 50 and 52, could be wrong on the model numbers.

3. cgcampbell

cgcampbell New Member

I am sorry I didn't get the model number. I hope to revisit the store next week and I will look at it more closely. Is there anywhere I can find information on these other than this forum? Would Hi Standard have sold a similar model? Thanks for your help RJay.

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Both Sears and Wards had center fire rifles made up on FN Mauser actions. There are no compatible High Standard models. They are unique to Sears and Wards

5. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

The Sears Model 50 and 51 were FN action based guns made for Sears by High Standard. The Model 51-L was a similar gun made with the HVA action. The Model 52 was made by High Standard for Sears using a Sako action.

High Standard did sell an equivalent gun to the model 50 to service men overseas. They also sold their own version of the Model 51-L which did appear in catalogs and price lists.

http://www.histandard.info/PDF/Sears CF Rifles.pdf

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  6. cgcampbell

cgcampbell New Member

I thought I would give you some feedback after all the help. I purchased the J C Higgins Model 51-L in .243 Win. that I was refering too. After some research I now know that it is a Husqvarna action assembled by High Standard. On the left side of the barrel in front of the receiver is stamped 1C. On the right side of the barrel in front of the receiver is stamped 3272, which the gunshop owner listed as the serial number. Would that be correct? I can find no electro engraving of the serial number on the bolt. The trigger guard, floor plate and magazine box appear to be an alloy rather than steel. Would that be correct having been made in 1959? How many .243 caliber rifles were assembled?

The metal is in very good condition and has never been scoped, bore is excellent and I don't think it is chrome, but the stock has been bedded and it has the usual dings, dents and mars for it's age. How much would it devalue the gun to refinish the walnut stock? I intend to hunt with it or my grand-kids.

Thanks again

7. SGVictor

SGVictor Member

The Model 50 had the chromed bore. The models 51, 51-L and 52 did not have chromed bores.

Serial numbers must be on the receiver.

Yes, the trigger guard and floorplate were aluminum on this model. Even if steel, it would be an alloy.

There were two different generations of the Model 51-L. The key is the Sears ID number 583.5100 through 583.5107.

8. cgcampbell

cgcampbell New Member

On the barrel the model number is shown as 583.5103. I took the stock off and found the serial number on the bottom of the receiver where the barrel attaches. The serial number is 57356. In that same location there is a letter A, what appears to be a proof mark and the word NITRO. Would there be a matching serial number on the bolt or a partial number and where would it be? Thanks again for the information.

9. 9 fingers

9 fingers New Member

I would say that since your gun has a Husqvarna Mauser action on it that it is a very fine gun indeed, Swedish steel being the best in the world and Mauser actions being what they are. As for value, my buddy has my book but since it is a JC Higgins it is probably not particularly high in vlaue (maybe $150?) and refinishing the stock won't hurt you. That being said it is still a very fine rifle. Good find!
    9 fingers