Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

J. E. Gebby 22 Varminter

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mtmiddaugh, Dec 7, 2017.

1. mtmiddaugh

mtmiddaugh New Member

Let’s try this again! Thank you for the quick response to the first thread. I’ve attached more photos to this thread.

Can anyone give me any information in this gun. The barrel is stamped “J.E. Gebby” with serial no. 787. I’ve found a little information on Gebby, but can’t find anything out about the gun itself.

The guns clear coat on the gun is cracked I think, but there isn’t any peeling to speak of. I’m assuming this is due to age?

There are pictures of all the defining aspects of the gun. Any information is appreciated! I have no intention of selling, but I am curious on what this is worth. Again, thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  2. sschrad

sschrad Member

J.E. Gebby was a gunsmith that is closely associated with the development of the 22-250 (also called the .22 Varminter , I think the name was copyrighted by him in 1937) . The chamber should be cast to determine what the exact caliber is as it was a wildcat back then and shoulder angles were anywhere from 25 to 30 degrees where as today's standard is 28 degrees.

No idea on the value , but he didn't make thousands of them so .....

Kweeksdraw likes this.

3. mtmiddaugh

mtmiddaugh New Member

Thank you sschrad!

Kweeksdraw likes this.
  4. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Well-Known Member

Looks like a Mauser action. The cracked finish looks like old varnish, rather than a conventional oil finish.
    I like the humped European-style buttstock. I have an old BRNO with such a humpback.

sschrad likes this.