·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have a very nice J. P. Sauer sidelock drilling proofed in June 1939
Serial # is 293421
16 X 16 X 8-57JR
Are there surviving Sauer records for this drilling?
Thanks!
Jim
A
ny additional information about this drilling will be appreciated
Thanks!Jim McKee

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
Does Axel know? I'd think if anyone would know it would be him or fuhrman.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Know you might need close up pictures of the stampings. There are books that tell the era, which can tell a builder (some times father & son - "Kern" comes to mind). Might need face shot of barrels to show lock. I think you have everything going for it except those rare odd calibers.
Why does Willi Kern jump to mind. That was a different locking system. I only know enough to get really confused!

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
"Rare, odd calibers, (cartridges)?" Boy myrt, you are in need of some enlightenment! Between the wars 8 X 57JR was one of the more popular chamberings for drillings and single shot rifles in both .318 and .323 groove diameter. Several companies still load the ammo and loading components are more available right now than most other cartridges.

16 bore ruled the roost in Europe and a goodly part of the US until the mid-50's. Most pre-war drillings were chambered for the 2 1/2 in. hull and, as with the 8 X 57JR, both loaded ammo and reloading components are available and, they can be easily made from 2 3/4 hulls.

Kersten is the name you're trying to think of. I have Merkel and Vierordt double rifles based on his action. One is an O/U and the other a SXS and both would qualify for your rare, odd cartridges. Much more so than the 8 X 57JR. And I expect ohiochuck knows exactly what he has.

If you're interested in "rare, odd calibers", (you mean cartridges), I have several we could talk about,

Reactions: ysacres

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ya, didn't pay attention as much as I should of about a lot of things I was being told and shown. Never could understand martini's, beloved 28 gauge's & 410's, and the rare exotic's that are not practical to shoot out back in the jungle/woods where I live. Was only drawn into the craftsmanship after buying a willi karl mauser. Was pushed really hard to buy the lathes and mills at the end, all I wanted was the stock making tools. Never designed or patented anything, never had anything to do with that ballistic program and the thor. They just gave me rifles to test at the range at my house. My philosophy is if you can't spend the day naked fly fishing in your yard without anybody seeing you, then you don't live far enough in the woods. Guns and the calibers are just a tool to keep us alive and if they are stocked in beautiful myrtlewood, wonderful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts