Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

J. P. Sauer & Sohn hammer shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Slivver, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Slivver

Slivver New Member

I recently acquired this shotgun and have been working to understand what the proofs and other stamped info mean. It came from an estate auction so I don't know anything about the gun's history.

The gun in question is:

J. P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl 12 Ga. Shotgun

Double Barrel, External Hammers, Double Triggers

29 ½ inch Barrels, matted top rib with bead front sight

Round Body Rebounding Back Action, "Island" Locks

Walnut cheek piece stock

Horn trigger guard, smooth steel buttplate

Lots of proofmarks and stamps on barrels and receiver water table

Made prior to 1891 (Crown over V proofmark)

Some light surface pitting on rear of left barrel and left side receiver

Bores mostly bright with some some light discoloration and pitting near chambers

Small dent on left barrel

Tight lockup between barrels and receiver

Hammer action crisp

Wood in good condition with some dents and dings

Checkering visible but worn

Crack 1” in top of stock at buttplate “point”

Sling swivels have been removed

I believe this gun began as a blackpower shotgun, made before 1891 because of the Crown/V proofs. I understand that guns made before the 1891 proof law were submitted to the proof house to grandfather them under the new law. I think the Crown/W means "choked", the Crown/U means "proof approved" (blackpowder?), and the Crown/R means "repaired". There are some obviously newer proofs as well--Eagle/J (Suhl proof house?), Eagle/N (nitro proof?), Hammer and something in Shield (no idea), and 442 (altered or repaired in April 1942?). The right hand barrel has data that I assume described the proof powder and shot charges: 5-3/4 S.P. 34-1/2 B.L. Left hand barrel has serial number (45906), under the serial is 717Q (?) and "Nicht fur Kugel" (not for slugs). The ejector is suspiciously bright and smooth compared to the surrounding metal, and the gun locks up like a new one, so that may explain the new proofs and repair date? What is the 13 beside the circled 9?

I have attached photos of the gun and markings. I will really appreciate any help, both in confirming or correcting what I have so far, and in adding any additional info. I would also like to know approximate value. More photos are available if you want a close-up of any part of the shotgun.

Thanks,

Slivver

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009