The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a J. Stevens single shot 22 pistol. It has a 6" barrel and has been professionally restored decades ago and safe kept ever since. Not sure of the model number. Serial number starts with 32xxxx. Has J. Stevens Arms Company - Chipocee Falls Mass USA on the barrel.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Could be wrong, Stevens made a slew of these break top single shots. I believe you have a Model 35. It has been refinished but not restored. The barrel should be blued and I can see pitting under the replating, and the grips seem to fit poorly. The fact that it is 22 instead of 25 Stevens is nice ( 25 Stevens would make it useless as a shooter ). Because of the " restoring " it is not really desirable as a collectors item but would make a nice shooter. The book value is not much of a guide in a case like this, they rate on original finishes. I don't want to give a WAG, but if I was looking for something to play with, I would go maybe 150 and then bushing the firing pin ( If I remember correctly the 35 had no firing pin bushing ). I may be in error, if so perhaps others will chime in with more information.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

It's a Model 35 made 1907-1916, but unfortunately the collector value was destroyed by the "restoration" as it appears to have been heavily buffed and nickel or chrome plated, and also has a non-original rear sight.

It's value now would be as a shooter, which will depend on the bore condition, etc.

Here's how it should look: http://www.gunauction.com/Search/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=9527021

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the info. It is nickel plated. As far as my tackle box goes, I have a Western Marshall derringer 357 in there. :) Great forum, glad I found it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts