The Firearms Forum banner

J Stevens A&T co 22 long rifle

117K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  progression22 
#1 ·
I have a 22 long rifle single shot lever action rolling block style rifle which is marked USA PAT. April 1794 S.N.629. Can you tell me anything about this gun?

#3 ·
Hi John.....welcome to TFF.

Does your Stevens .22 look similar to this?

http://www.savagearms.com/30g.htm

The picture shown is a new release of the old Stevens "Favorite", various models of which were made from 1893 to 1939.

If you can post some clear, sharp pictures, full length, both right and left sides, we can probably identify which model it is, and give you some more info on it.

Also, please tell us all of the writing on it, exactly as it's written.

#4 ·
Thanks for thequick reply. The rifle I have is similar to the new model, but there are some obvious differences. Sights are fixed, and forarm appears to be a little smaller. There is a brass diamond (no initials) on one side of the stock near the grip. Barrel is part octagon, up to end of forarm, and round from there to muzzle. Writing is as follows:
On bottom tang: D 839
On top of barrel in front of receiver: J. STEVENS A & T CO.
CHEOPEE FALLS MASS USA PAT APR 1794

On left side of barrel: 22-LONG RIFLE

Stock is in reasonably good condition, and appears to be walnut. There is a very small 1-2 inch crack from top and bottom tang, but crack is so narrow, can't begin to get a finger nail in it.

Gun is in working condition, but inside of barrel is rough so it doesn't shoot very straight.

That's the best I can do for now. Any info you can give me from that would be appreciated.

#5 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. The rifle I have is similar to the new model, but there are some obvious differences. Sights are fixed, and forarm appears to be a little smaller. There is a brass diamond (no initials) on one side of the stock near the grip. Barrel is part octagon, up to end of forarm, and round from there to muzzle. Writing is as follows:
On bottom tang: D 839
On top of barrel in front of receiver: J. STEVENS A & T CO.
CHEOPEE FALLS MASS USA PAT APR 1794

On left side of barrel: 22-LONG RIFLE

Stock is in reasonably good condition, and appears to be walnut. There is a very small 1-2 inch crack from top and bottom tang, but crack is so narrow, can't begin to get a finger nail in it.

Gun is in working condition, but inside of barrel is rough so it doesn't shoot very straight.

That's the best I can do for now. Any info you can give me from that would be appreciated.

#6 ·
Hi John....

First, the patent date is APR 17, '94 (April 17, 1894) and yours us a Stevens Favorite Model 1894.

Here's some info on the various Stevens "Favorites":

http://www.geocities.com/c-thunderer/STEVENSRIFLES.html

http://www.wisnersinc.com/exploded_views/Stevens_Favorite_parts.htm

Over a million of the various models of the "Favorite" were made between 1893 to 1939, so they don't have a high collector value.

The Standard Catalog of Firearms values them at:

Exc. - $450
V.G. - $300
Good - $250
Fair - $175
Poor - $125

#11 · (Edited)
The Museum rifle pictured appears to be an early Stevens Favorite No.27, due to the lack of a schnobble/knob at the forward end of the forend tip - as illustrated in the Stevens 1929 Catalog (# 57).

It appears to have had the plain takedown screw replaced with one that incorporates a sling loop - possibly for position target shooting at one time.

BTW - Most of these early rifles & pistols have poor bores because they were shot a LOT - and they were shot mostly in the days before non-corrosive priming.

Numrich and Bob's both list parts:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/products.asp?chrMasterModel=089ZzFAVORITE 27&MC=

http://www.gun-parts.com/savagerifle/

#19 ·
Value will vary greatly depending upon condition, model, and originality: Flayderman's Guide lists value range for the standard Favorite with open sights from $250 in Very Good condition to $600 in Excellent condition. Photos always help, but to get an idea search the online auctions for sold Stevens Favorites.

#21 ·
thmuseum
What you have appears to be a model 17 Stevens favorite.
It is 100% correct. The loop on the takedown screw was for ease in disasembly. Nothing more. It has nothing to do with sling or anything else.The forend with the very slight snobel is also correct. As far as age goes ,its pre 1906. Sadly the stevens records of that time have been lost and we can only estimate it's age by known examples of this rifle that have been documented in the past. As for condition.....well its kinda rough.

#22 ·
I have one with D24 under the trigger guard. The trigger guard is sloppy (doesn't stay up unless you hold it with a finger), but it still fires .22LR very well. Anyone have a clue as to how old this is? I want to be able to let my grandkids use it as it still shoots well, but I also want to have some idea as to when it was made. Thanks!

#23 · (Edited)
I have one with D24 under the trigger guard. The trigger guard is sloppy (doesn't stay up unless you hold it with a finger), but it still fires .22LR very well. Anyone have a clue as to how old this is? I want to be able to let my grandkids use it as it still shoots well, but I also want to have some idea as to when it was made. Thanks!
Sideplate models 1889 - up until 1894 only and 1500made
Model 1894 with that date on the patent stamping was made 1894 to 1912 so if your rifle is marked 1894 it is made between those dates and another way to tell is if it has a solid receiver with no sideplate and the barrel is half round and half octagonal then it is an 1894
If barrel is either round OR octagon and it has no markings on tang then it is 1912 through early 1915 and if it is marked on upper tang Model 1915 then it is 1915 and post 1915.
IF it has a high serial number and up to 14 differences from most 1894s the it is a very very early 1894. The most marked differences I have explained in another thread on this site BUT it will have a side extractor coming up the left hand side between the action and receiver and a squared radius to the receiver beside the point where the breech block bears against the back of barrel.
The letter preceding a 3 digit serial number is far later than a high serial number one as the high serial numbered Favorites were numbered in the same range as all others Stevens rifles so that 44067 might be a .22 tipp up pistol and 44068 might be a Favourite!
The Alpahabet prefix serial numbers CANNOT be dated by the order of letters of the alphabet as many seem to think so that A 58 could have been made five years later than M 592
I can give an approximate date IF I can see the entire firearm and examine every detail of it in order to see what peculiarities and features it has - eg thinner receiver, barrel stepped down in side the receiver, receiver profile, length of lower tang, slight discrepancy in size of lever, slight discrepancy in profile of breech block and radius of receiver below breech block, squared profile to receiver beside at point where barrel touches breech block, method of holding spring in place, method of holding rifle closed when cocked, markings and so on.

#24 ·
can anyone tell me about his rifle. This rifle is marked "J. Stevens Arms Company Chicopee Falls, Mass U.S.A.". It is also marked with ".22LR", and inside the forward grip on the rifle is stamped "52" on bottom left and "0" on bottom right. Then "EX" next to screw in middle. serial number is 3407 and that's marked on the reciever and barrel.

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. You have a potentially valuable rifle, and I have asked gun author Joel Black who in the past collected Stevens single shot rifles for help with identification. Meanwhile, you need to use your camera's macro setting to take clearer closeup photos, preferably outside in natural light.

Pending Joel's confirmation, I think the 52 identifies it as the Stevens Ideal "Schuetzen Junior" model made ca 1897-1915.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.