Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

J Stevens Arms Co Model 55

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by flyguru, May 13, 2009.

1. flyguru

flyguru New Member

Want to know about this rifle?

I just revieved a .22 rifle from my cousin as a Birthday gift. The rifle was my grandfathers and was the first rifle I ever fired as a child. I have done several searches to find some information about it. On the top of the barrell is stamped Stevens, followed by:
    Manufactured by J Stevens Arms Co
    Chicopee falls, Mass. USA. CAL .22 S.L. or LR MODEL 55

On the bottom of the barrel is stamped:

STEVENS Buckhorn RIFLE

Any information would be great.

Thanks

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. flyguru

flyguru New Member

I'm new to this forum. Do I have the correct one even though I do not need to know about the value? I just want to have an idea about the firearm as well as the history.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

flyguru, welcome to the forum. You have posted in the right place, but if you add some pictures it would help identify the rifle. I don;t know anything about this rifle, for that matter, I can't even find anything individually on the Model 55 in the Blue Book of Gun Values. I am sure that someone will come along that will be able to help you.

4. flyguru

flyguru New Member

Thanks for the reply. I will take some photos and post them as well. I have not been able to find anything regarding the model 55 as well. Somewhat a mystery?

Attached Files:

5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The reason you haven't found much information on your rifle, is because there were so many Steven/
    Savage bolt action single shot rifles made over the past century very few reference books even list them . The
    Standard Catalog of firearms lumps all of the Seven's utility bolt action 22's together , they do not list them singularly. It looks to be the presuccor ot the Model 15 so at a guess I would dat it to the 40's-50's

6. flyguru

flyguru New Member

Thanks for the Post. From what I have gathered so far the rifle was manufactured sometime prior to the late 1940's. After that the manufaturer name stamped on the barrel changed again.

7. flyguru

flyguru New Member

Re: information about this rifle

Anyone?

8. gazzmann

gazzmann New Member

100.00 fair cond
    200.00 good to excellent.
    Great little single shot rifles. Excellent gift, real tack driver.

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  9. sneakyquick

sneakyquick New Member

I have one of these for sale right now on gun!broker.com. I also did not know much about it or its value. The one I have is identical to the one you have. The stevens were very common guns. I believe that the more common gun is the model 56. However, a collector emailed me and this collector told me that this was actually a 1935 model stevens 55 based on the markings and that they only made 3500 that year. As a result it is extremely rare. He said mine was only the second one he ever saw and the other one was his. I would be interested in more info regarding this. But, you might have a highly collectible gun after all. Later stevens models are very common and not worth much.....Unfortunately for me, I decided to refinish the gun before I posted it on gun!broker because it had a few scratches and someone had painted a black inlay area right under the front of the barrel that was all chipped up....It looks great now. However, I was informed that since the gun is refinished it is worth less now even though it looks great. Check out my gun!broker listing for some pictures of my gun. I did not want to reload them here since I already have them there. I would like to know everyones thoughts on this collectors information.
    Here is the link to the gun
    133425841 is the item number on gun!broker

Also for you collectors I am not soliciting any bids on my auctions but for fun, I just recently in an auction my dad told me about in the waycross ga area of someones collection I bought some really cool guns so take a look at my other auctions just to see some of the other collectible guns I got. I would like to know which ones you guys like. I also discovered that one of the guns I bought was a 1968 colt python first generation which is fairly collectible. Also the stevens, and also the colt pocket nine that they quit making is just crazy popular and getting a ton of bids. I thought about keeping the pocket nine because it is a cool little gun, but its selling hott rightn ow! Thanks guys for your input.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  10. moosephart

moosephart New Member

I just stumbled on this thread while looking for information on my dad's Stevens Model 55. It is the same stock and bolt as are pictured by flyguru. I would like to see more of the stock. Another person mentioned the black forestock. Ours is the same and chipped as well. We have not restored it. I can only date this roughly at this point. He got it as a child. He is 83 now. I would agree with the guy who says 1935 or thereabouts. I would really like to see more pictures from anyone who owns one. I will post some in a ffew days. There really is not much information out there on these, at least that I can uncover. Thanks for posting. It may be a fairly small group of folks who still own one of these. For the record, I am 60 and learned to shoot on this rifle myself when I was ten. I still use it here on the farm. Very accurate but getting a little more sensative about the ammo I feed it. Moose

11. moosephart

moosephart New Member

Did you ever sell the Stevens 55? Got any pics of it?

12. moosephart

moosephart New Member

PS the black inlay on the forestock is original to the Model 55. Ours looks rough too, a bit chpped and dull, but it was not the product of a kid and a whim.