The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know of someone who has a J Stevens Arms and Tool Co. sigle shot pistol in .410 guage shotgun. this is a single shot pistol with a 8" (approx.) length barrel. can anyone tell me more about it? I have seen J Stevens single shot .22 pistols before, but this is the first shotgun/pistol I have ever seen from them. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
The gun in question is the Stevens Auto Shot No35. Pistol, Chambered in 2" 410, Smooth Bore 1929 to 1934, only about 2000 total made. Yes, it does fall under the NFA act of 1934, which means if not already papered. is try for a exception for a rare and historical pistol. Of which they grant very, very few. but the above gun is what your friend has, I just wonder if your friend know the rules of the road, so to speak.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Would the best chance to keep it from being confiscated and destroyed be to donate it to a museum (I'm thinking the Nat.Firearms Museum or such) and let them try to get it blessed?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Threads like this come up pretty often on gun forums. People looking to learn about an inherited gun (usually an H&R Handy Gun) who are horrified to learn that Grandpa's old gun could land them in Federal Prison.
The answer to your question is NO. Unless you are lucky and get a Rare & Historical gun exception, it cannot be made legal by anyone. As soon as the Fed find out it exists, they will confiscate & destroy it. And possibly prosecute anyone known to have possessed it.
Hide it good or get rid of it.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
If you get rid of the barrel, the gun is not illegal. Replacing the barrel with a rifled barrel will make the gun legal.
You can also get rid of the barrel, apply for an NFA tax stamp to make an AOW (or SBS), and when approved install a barrel just like the old one.
The gun will be legal, and registered with the feds.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If you get rid of the barrel, the gun is not illegal. Replacing the barrel with a rifled barrel will make the gun legal.
You can also get rid of the barrel, apply for an NFA tax stamp to make an AOW (or SBS), and when approved install a barrel just like the old one.
The gun will be legal, and registered with the feds.
But a rifled barrel liner wouldn't be legal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What about if you had a gunsmith rifle the barrel. I was told that would satisfy the requirement just like the Taurus Judge and the Smith and Wesson Governor? Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
mobman, rifle barrels are normally much thicker than shotgun barrels. Reason for this is the rifling. Cutting grooves into the thin walls of a shotgun barrel would probably not work real good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts