The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased firing pin safety knob and spring for my Japanese arisaka 99 putting the bolt assembly back together bolt will not close on the website for the firing pin said final fitting required does anyone know what I have to do for the final fitting any information is helpful looked over a bunch of websites still can't find anything what has to be done to the firing pin to make it work

·
Registered
65 Posts
They were pretty much right about the 'some fitting required'.
Need to know the series of your rifle, it's the symbol right in front of the serial number-a clear picture would be a big help.
The Type 99 rifle was in production for about 4 years(1941-45). About 2 and half million made by several different makers in three countries.
The early rifles were finely made, mostly hand fitted. The end of war ones looked to be finish with bench grinder and hand axe. All were functional as intended.
If you find out the particulars of your rifle, you can probably match the manufacturer and series for parts found on places like ebay.
Bought Gew88 clips from Numrich that required a bit of 'reengineering' to 'kinda work'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thank you very much I did some research on my own and and found out it was on the earlier models it is a arasaka 99 I am at work right now but I do believe it was from the toyo conga manufacturer I probably messed that name up but when I get home I'll find out the info again thank you very much for your help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They were pretty much right about the 'some fitting required'.
Need to know the series of your rifle, it's the symbol right in front of the serial number-a clear picture would be a big help.
The Type 99 rifle was in production for about 4 years(1941-45). About 2 and half million made by several different makers in three countries.
The early rifles were finely made, mostly hand fitted. The end of war ones looked to be finish with bench grinder and hand axe. All were functional as intended.
If you find out the particulars of your rifle, you can probably match the manufacturer and series for parts found on places like ebay.
Bought Gew88 clips from Numrich that required a bit of 'reengineering' to 'kinda work'.
It is a Toyo Kogyo 32 series everything else with the rifle is great has a chrome line barrel also I have the bayonet for it would be nice to get a fully functional again

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does your bolt body match the rifle? Should have the last three digits of rifle s/n stamped on the root of bolt handle, if so, then you're most of the way there.
Your safety should have the fine, swirling pattern on the back to match the vintage of the rifle (1942-43).
Does the replacement firing pin slide easily into the bolt body without slop?
Take the safety and install into the firing pin (without the spring) and check for free movement without binding in the slot in the firing pin. Should be no binding but also no slop.
If all good, install firing pin with spring into bolt body. Line up firing pin sear with the shallow notch in the bolt. Install safety, compressing the firing pin spring. It will take a little finagling, but press in and turn the safety. There is a little nubbin on the bottom of the safety that should line up with firing pin sear. Bolt is ready to install into the rifle.
Check to make sure the trigger sear catches the sear on firing pin. If not, DO NOT TURN BOLT HANDLE DOWN!, as this will lock the bolt! If that happens there is a fairly easy fix-don't worry.
Lastly, Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No the bolt by does not match the rifle serial number bolt body has 265 or 255 stamp on it serial number on rifle is 32222 the safety and the spring and the fire pin are all parts brought from numrich fire and pin does move freely inside the bolt and actually comes out a little bit from a bolt hole without the spring in it everything jams up after I put the spring in it thanks again for your help

·
Registered
65 Posts
Your best bet would be to find an original complete bolt. Keep looking on places like ebay and ********* and just search the various surplus sellers. Yeah, prices for a complete bolt are as much as a complete rifle was a few years ago. Everything is stupid expensive and scarce in this era of Fear and Loathing. I just saw an early Kokura marked matching bolt assy. on GB for a buy now of a hundred and a half, about as good of a deal your going to get these days. Toyo Kogyo made rifles under Kokura supervision, hence the Kokura factory mark followed by Toyo Kogyo's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts