The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rifle that was my father's. The only information I had is that he picked it up while in the Pacific Theater during WWII. As a child, I remember it having a longer stock with the bayonet attached (I still have). At some point my uncle talked my dad into cutting the stock down for deer hunting. I've had the rifle packed away for many years. I'd like to restore it to the way it was when I was a kid with the bayonet attached. I'm not sure as to what type rifle it truly is and what type stock I should be looking for. I'd love to have information on the history of this rifle as well. My goal is to mount it on the wall with my dad's shadowbox medals. I measured the rifle and have the following measurements: Overall length from rifle tip to butt is 38" (96.5mm). The full barrel length from tip to knurled safety is 26" (66mm). Any help with information is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,884 Posts
I believe the two vent holes in the receiver were only in the T 38 Arisakas. Looks like someone may have taken a shaker can to some of the parts. We have some experts here that will be by shortly I’m sure that can be of much more help. @nmckenzie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the two vent holes in the receiver were only in the T 38 Arisakas. Looks like someone may have taken a shaker can to some of the parts. We have some experts here that will be by shortly I’m sure that can be of much more help. @nmckenzie
Thanks

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Japanese Arisaka Type 38 Carbine, chambered in 6.5x50mmSR. The Chrysanthemum, or "Mum" as we refer to it, is intact. Surrendered rifles had it ground off, or defaced. The symbol to the left of the serial number is the series mark.The symbol after the serial number is for the Nagoya Arsenal, 1926-1945. To the right of that is another symbol that denotes the sub contractor that Nagoya supervised. I can't make out what it is, or what the series mark is. Your bayonet will be marked as well.
Parts are available:
This is what it looked like:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts