The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help would be appreciated.

What I don't know
A similar bayonet was identified as "SERIES 46 CANA," what does that mean and how do I differentiate?
Pommel has the Katakana Se セinside of a circle, What does that mean?
Pommel also has Kuchi 口 or possibly Ishihara 石, What does that mean?

Date: 1938-1941
Blade Length: 400mm (15.75”)
Overall Length 500mm (20.15”)
Weight 640g

What I think I know
-) Type 30 Bayonet, also known as the Japanese Pattern 1897 Bayonet.
-) Should fit on the Type 30 rifle (6.5 mm), Type 38 rifle (6.5 mm), Type 99 rifle (7.7 mm), & Type I Rifle (Carcano) (6.5 mm)
-) Hooked Quillion Guard (pre 1942)
-) Type 30 Metal Scabbard (pre 1942)
-) Highly Polished Fullered (Blood Groove) Blade
-) Contoured grips (not wrap around) retained with screws set in escutcheons
-) Contoured birds-head Pommel
-) Scabbard is the earlier pattern with a ball tip
-) Scabbards is in good shape and painted black in the traditional burdock sword method (gobo ken)
-) Japanese Maker’s Mark on this bayonet was used by Toyoda Jidoshoki Seisakusho (Toyoda Automatic Loom Works) under Nagoya Arsenal supervision. This company would later become Toyota Motor Corporation. Toyoda made bayonets from 1938–1945. (post 1937)
-) Japanese Maker Mark is the 2nd style (of 3) with the Kanji inside the diamond pointing downward.
Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Electric blue Flooring

Rectangle Wood Grass Flooring Tints and shades

Wood Door Tints and shades Household hardware Wood stain

Font Metal Fashion accessory Titanium Electric blue

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Anything you can't find there to answer your questions, contact Ralph Cobb the site owner with your photos. Ralph probably knows more about it than the Japanese do, and can tell you that from seeing it across the room!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that is an excellent sight and answered many of my questions before the post. The few I had left are the ones I put up on this forum. I took your advice and emailed him as well.

Anything you can't find there to answer your questions, contact Ralph Cobb the site owner with your photos. Ralph probably knows more about it than the Japanese do, and can tell you that from seeing it across the room!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts