Jesse James made POTUS a Gun

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by 2A-Jay, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Jesse James isn't a convicted felon, he did spend some time in jail and in juvenile detention for misdemeanor charges but he isn't a prohibited person.

2. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

JJ must have missed a few history lessons.
    Ever since Teddy R. was president, every single president has been offered a custom firearm from a custom shop or gunsmithing school at the end of their term free of charge. I don't know how many were offered a firearm while still in office but I'll bet it sure wasn't very many.:)

3. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member

Jesse James, the motorcycle and custom car fabricator and reality TV star, is also a very avid firearms collector. In fact, hes even a collector of fully automatic weapons; the most highly regulated weapons in the country.

Jesse himself has had some trouble with the law, spending a few months in jail (or juvenile detention) while he was a teenager, and having caught a few minor assault charges in his teens and twenties; but he has never been convicted of a felony or offense that would prohibit him from owning firearms. He has also had his juvenile record expunged (required to become a licensed and bonded security guard in states that license them, which Jesse was for several years before founding his fabrication company).

It's actually very difficult to own a machine gun in the United States. It requires an extensive federal background check conducted by the FBI and ATF, which can take more than six months; as well as the sign-off of your local chief law enforcement officer (usually your county sheriff), in order to buy or receive one.

I'm actually surprised that, given his history, he hasn't had problems in getting his class III items (industry term for specially regulated guns like machine guns) transferred; but since his only serious offenses were juvenile and have been expunged, legally it's as if they never happened (though people who've had their records expunged often still have problems with transferring firearms).

Jesse also has a concealed carry license in Texas; which again, requires a very stringent background investigation, and a training class.

Anyway, Jesse has been into guns for a long time, has taken a number of firearms training courses, collects highly regulated weapons, and he's well known for shooting and playing with lots of cool guns on his TV shows.

He's not a novice. He should, in theory, know what he's doing

Rest of the article.
    https://anarchangel.blogspot.com/2012/12/jesse-james-and-danny-trejo-commit.html

KenHo likes this.
  4. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

If Jesse James is indeed a convicted felon...then perhaps a presidential pardon is what he was fishing for with the gift of that horrid looking 1911.

5. RED7218

RED7218 New Member

I kinda admire Jesse for the skill set he's put together. Not to say I'd build the stuff he does. To each his own, I guess. I can't listen to him spout the whole California valley girl F'n duuuuude talk though.

I think Sandra B was looking to break out of the whole good girl thing with the marriage. It certainly got enough press..

6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know what JJ is like in real life, but the press makes him look pretty low.
    I like the gun, it displays the typical JJ excellence of workmanship, and I am VERY pleased that one more of the Hollywood set steps out against the current and backs our president.

On JJ's show, the part I like best was when he would address young people - he would stress that you do not HAVE to choose to sit in an office all day, you do not HAVE to punch a keyboard for a living, just learn to use THESE (at that point he would hold up his hands with fingers spread) and you can make a good living doing things you ENJOY!

Yeah, he screwed up as a kid. I did too, but just did not get caught.
    Yeah, we all think he is an idiot for cheating on the most beautiful woman in Hollywood.
    But let us try not to let those two things prejudice our judgment so much that we cannot recognize real skill.

7. Grizzley1

For all his faults, real or imagined, lack of a strong work ethic and lack of skills aren't among them.

Larry Grimes and KenHo like this.
  8. KenHo

KenHo New Member

Like other folks have said, JJ sure does have some skills! While I can admire the skill involved in building that pistol, and the engraving - it's got too much "bling" for me. BUT - that should just fit Trump. Remember, JJ builds these things from scratch, milling the parts from a block of steel. I saw one (on line in photos) 45 he made where he forged billets of Damascus to machine the parts from.

Seems it would be smart to wait until after Trump leaves office so he could own the pistol. The article makes the statement "Basically, this means that Trump wouldn’t really own the gun and would be unable to take it home when his presidency was over. Fortunately, Jesse has already taken this into consideration and states that “hopefully, it will end up on display in his presidential library” for everyone to enjoy."

My question, since it belongs to the people, can he take it to his presidential library? Are things in the presidential library still "owned by the people"?

9. Grizzley1

I believe that most of the presentation firearms given to sitting presidents are in the Smithsonian or in the National Firearms Museum.

Jesse could avoid having the pistol become public property by selling it to Trump for a dollar and having it transferred through an FFL dealer. I'm pretty sure POTUS can pass a background check. ;)

crystalphoto and KenHo like this.
  10. KenHo

KenHo New Member

I think JJ (or one of his companies) is an FFL dealer, I'm pretty sure he's got a company that is a SOT 7 for he's manufacturing a line of suppressors. Since he's manufacturing the pistol for something other than himself, wouldn't that require the manufacturing license? OR SOT of some flavor?

11. KenHo

KenHo New Member

A small follow up on presidential libraries from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_library

In the United States, the presidential library system is a nationwide network of 15 libraries administered by the Office of Presidential Libraries, which is part of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)...... {snip} before the mid-20th century, presidential papers and effects were generally understood to be the private property of the president. Franklin D. Roosevelt, the 32nd president, proposed to leave his papers to the public in a building donated by him on his Hyde Park estate. Since then a series of laws have established the presidential library system..... {snip}

From that it seems currently presidential libraries are in fact owned by the people as part of National Archives. Now, an interesting tidbit here from the past president who ran on "Openness in office" - "The one planned for Barack Obama (44th President, 2009–2017) will also operate outside the NARA system.[1]"

I guess that means it's privately owned by Obama allowing him control of what might be released?

12. mla6021

mla6021 Active Member

To each his own of course, but honestly to me it looks like a 1911 you'd see a south of the border cartel narco king carrying. They do like the gaudy, shiny chrome 1911's.

13. ChiefSeabee

ChiefSeabee New Member

I like President Trump, I like Jesse James. Bling is the name of the game in this 45th President. Kick me off of thefirearmsforum.com if you elect to do so. Thanks all, from the ChiefSeabee...!!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 1:46 PM
    2A-Jay likes this.
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Why would you be kicked off TFF? Have you done something wrong?

15. ChiefSeabee

ChiefSeabee New Member

I sure hope not. Thought I might have offended someone. I'm just an NC redneck. Thanks for clearing my mind gdmoody.:)