John Birch Society

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by RunningOnMT, Apr 5, 2009.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I recall when I was young hearing the John Birch Society referred to as something akin to the nazi party or the ku klux klan. But I also remember Sen. Joe McCarthy as being labled a deranged, mean spirited, drunk, crackpot. I now believe that was a gross injustice to a patriot that truly understood what communists were attempting to do to this country. In light of that I'd like to learn more about the John Birch society and what it stands for or stood for.

I don't know if it is even around today but if anyone has knowledge of them please enlighten me. Is it a radical group perpetuating un-American ideals or is it a group supporting good sound conservative principles?

2. rockntractor

rockntractor Former Guest

http://www.jbs.org/
    it's a group of good people but i don't know that they really have any influence or effect on anything anymore. perhaps if they had more members they could make a difference. iv'e been thinking about them myself.

3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

They were the first truly constitutionally sound and conservative group. The liberals, who have never changed their MO, lied the group into humility that was totally false. Some things NEVER change..... :( :( :(

I have been involved with JBS off and on since the early sixties.....

4. oldogy

oldogy New Member

Google is your friend. JBS is a conservative group. that very early on wanted us to get out of the UN.
    oldogy

5. 38 special

38 special New Member

I think its a society for the preservation of wood toilet seats(and old joke) Actually from what I've heard, sounds like they are an ok group but I havent heard anything of them since like 1960.

6. 38 special

38 special New Member

I was wrong it was actually the birch john society for preservation of ..

7. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Good group -
    I just never got around to joining, but know some and they are GOOD people -

I remember when Rep. Larry McDonald was elected National Chairman of the JB's.
    Next thing I knew, he was on board KAL 007 when it was shot down by the Soviets, killing all aboard.

8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

In the early 1960's a fellow worker, an outstanding person (a family man, an engineer, very bright) invited me and several other co-workers to a John Brirch Society meeting. We all attended. I even bought one of their books on Eisenhower. I listened to the pitch, read the book which turned me off. I assumed the logic used in the JB published book to be typical of their beliefs.

The book spewed out "facts" that were suppose to discredit Eisenhower but when the footnotes were followed they were circular back to other JB books. In short, the "facts" were assertions with no proof.

I could see that people who had the sheep mentality could be drawn into this society of followers. All of the JB people I met where nice people with conservative views similar to those of some of us today. I did not like the blind following their leader, John Birch. Such a leader has the ability to lead such followers over the cliff. I did not join, nor did any of my co-workers, all young thinking engineers.

LDBennett