John Demjanjuk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GMFWoodchuck, May 12, 2009.

1. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Am I the only one who thinks that John Demjanjuk is a tad young to have been called "Ivan the Terrible" in a Nazi camp in WWII? I keep hearing about this story and I have some reservations about it. If it's all true then so-be-it. But, I find it hard that a Soviet citizen was a guard at an SS camp myself.....

2. Kingpin46

Kingpin46 New Member

3. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

I have read other birthdates, further complicating this. But in any case that would have only put him in the very early 20's. My perception of the SS is that it was the FBI, CIA, special forces and evil all rolled into one. And all of the SS from what I understand tended to be older veteran types of german origin and proven loyalty. I don't know. There is something fishy about this. I'm not saying this guy was innocent, but I'm not sure if he was exactly "Ivan the terrible" either.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  4. islenos

islenos Active Member

"The main issue of the indictment sheet filed against the appellant was his identification as Ivan the Terrible, an operator of the gas chambers in the extermination camp at Treblinka ... By virtue of this gnawing [new evidence indicating mistaken identity] ... we restrained ourselves from convicting the appellant of the horrors of Treblinka. Ivan Demjanjuk has been acquitted by us, because of doubt, of the terrible charges attributed to Ivan the Terrible of Treblinka. This was the proper course for judges who cannot examine the heart and mind, but have only what their eyes see and read." They also added: "The facts proved the appellant's participation in the extermination process. The matter is closed — but not complete, the complete truth is not the prerogative of the human judge."
    -The Israeli Supreme Court

If the Israelis let him go then what is right of anyone else to put him on trial.

Also the guards in the camps were not SS, they were locals that were trained and given authority to commit those horrid crimes. They were promise that if they did a good job that they too could one day be SS.

5. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

And all of the SS from what I understand tended to be older veteran types of german origin and proven loyalty.
    Early in the war, yes. Later, no.

6. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

If the Jews let him go on a lack of evidence, then the case should be closed. I highly doubt that there is new compelling evidence.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  7. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

More than Jews died in the gas chambers. Undermenschin (sp), Gypsies, Slovakeins, Serbs, Poles, etc. Even German disidents.

8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

If memory serves the Israeli court determined that it was not proved he is "Ivan the terrible" but there is evidence that he was in fact at another death camp. While I dont want to see any innocent person convicted of a crime, we can never allow the monsters who played a role in the holocaust to escape justice. In any event he lied about his identity when he immigrated to the U.S. and should be deported. He has had a good life here in the U.S. for all of these years. One he did not deserve.

9. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    At first, the SS was an elite organization made up of "Germanic peoples." By the war's end, it consisted of anyone they could get. Latvians, Slavs, Ukrainians, Russians, Muslims. Many thought they were enlisting to fight the "Bolsheviks." Some were sent to the Eastern Front. Berlin, was defended by French and Latvian SS units amongst others. Lots of other SS Freiwillingers did the more mundane tasks, such as camp guards. TJ