John Moses Browning

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by goofy, Jan 14, 2019.

1. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not sure if this is in the right place.
    I have read and asked "What gun school did John Browning go to"
    Well here is your answer to your question.
    John Browning did not go to gun school instead he started working in his fathers gunsmithing shop at age 7. He was taught engineering and manufacturing principles and encouraged to experiment with new concepts. He designed his first rifle a single shot rolling block action at age 13. He and his brother co-founded John Mosses and Matthew Sandefur Browning co. latter renamed Browning arms co. and began to produce this and other non-military guns. He got his first patents at age 24 he designed and produced over 128 different guns. He pioneered development of modern automatics and semi auto guns. He also developed the first gas operated firearm.
    I could go on about the many guns he built but it would take up to many pages.
    So if you want to use his name to prove that a gunsmith does not need school to do his job right you should know about him.
    He started at 7 in a shop and was building new guns at 13 so not only did he have VERY good training and did work as a apprentice but one more thing is.
    HE WAS A GENIUS.
    And if you think he just made guns with out any problems think about why the A-5 is the A-5. I would say because the A-1 thru 4 did not work up to his high standards. We only hear about the guns that did work not the ones that did not work.
    So the next time you want to use him as a example of a gunsmith who did not go to gunsmithing school (other then the fact there were no gunsmithing schools back then) Think about what he did do to become the best gun designer we have ever had.
    He knew more at about guns at 13 years old then I do at 62 years old.
    Again he was a genius.
    Mike

Limbo Jimbo, Jolson, PRR1957 and 15 others like this.
  2. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

He's the guy i'd like to have had spent a day with.Pretty amazing guy. I thought the A-5 was called the A-5 cause it was a 5 shot Auto. Didn't know there were As-1 thru A-4s.

3. goofy

We will never know the real reason. I was just saying that to show we only know about the guns that did work not the ones that did not work.
    Mike

Limbo Jimbo, PRR1957, carver and 3 others like this.
  4. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have 7 of his patented guns; 1885 single shot(that he pat. in 1879), 1890 pump .22, 1892, 1894, Browning SA .22, A-5, and Citori/Superposed over/under shot gun.

Limbo Jimbo, PRR1957, carver and 3 others like this.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Browning designs. Good lord.

Got 1886 rifle, 1887 shotgun, 1890 rifle, 1892 rifle, 1894 rifle, 1895 rifle and 1897 shotgun. All Winchester. Then there's the 1903 pistol and the 1911 pistol, both Colt. Lastly the 1935 FN pistol.

I think that's all the Browning designs I have.

Edit: doing some research, I find both the Ithaca 37 and the Remington 11-48 are based on his designs. So that's two more.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  6. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Well-Known Member

Winchester, for many years bought all of JB’s patents whether they worked or not and then produced the one’s they thought the public would buy, the remainders were placed in a vault. The great 97 Shotgun is his redesign of one of Browning’s not so great releases. Sometimes it takes Joe consumer to bring out the best ( or worst) in a product.

Limbo Jimbo, carver, Kippy and 4 others like this.
  7. Jester560

Jester560 Well-Known Member

I only own 1 Browning and it is a really nice piece of craftsmanship.

Limbo Jimbo, carver, Kippy and 3 others like this.
  8. deingy

deingy Well-Known Member

Neither Orville or Wilbur had pilots licenses either.

PRR1957, jbmid1, carver and 8 others like this.
  9. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Well-Known Member

I doubt John Browning had a pilots license either o_O

PRR1957, carver, dbcooper and 3 others like this.
  10. goofy

What?.
    What point are you trying to make?.
    I think this thread is about guns not airplanes.
    Lets TRY to stay on topic in this thread.
    And the topic is John Browning.
    Mike

carver, Empty_Holster and joe45c like this.
  11. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Unlike most of us, J.M.B. was a genius and had extraordinary mechanical aptitude along with working alongside his gunsmith father from an early age.

There are things I'm comfortable doing on my guns and things I am not. At least I'm smart enough to know my limitations and let someone that knows what they are doing do the things know I can't or shouldn't. I'm no J.M.B. and I know this full well.

I do have some mechanical aptitude and some intelligence and I'm usually a fast learner when I have some one to teach me how or what to do and how to do it right before I muck something up royally.

12. rawright54

rawright54 Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work Supporting Member

According to the people who used to give me tests in school, I'm a genius. I'm also an experienced engineer, and I've gone through gunsmithing school. But I still send guns I'm unsure about to a more experienced smith, or ask someone else (like Mike) questions before I tackle something scary new.:)

Oh, and JMB is my hero; almost every gun I've ever held and liked was designed by him, or one of his kin. So far I have a couple of 1911s, a BAR (Safari Mk II), a BLR, a Buckmark, a Hi-Power, and an A-5. I also have Dad's 1948 Winchester 94, which is a Browning design, as well. I hope to complete the set one day, though I doubt that I'll live that long. It's taken 64 years to get this many in my safe!:D

carver, Kippy, dbcooper and 5 others like this.
  13. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mike, one thing I’ve recently learned here on TFF is that some folks just like to argue and would rather try to engage in a mental jousting tournament then try to understand the OP’s point. You just have to learn to ignore them and move on. I’m aware of the thread that inspired this one and agree with all your points. There are always exceptions and there will always be people more than willing to focus on these exception rather than the stick to the topic.

14. goofy

John Browning made guns that are hard guns to work on. They were not simple designs and I am sure he redid ALLOT of them in till they worked right.
    I have been doing this for a while but still get guns in I have never worked on before like the Remington XP-100. I thought I knew how to get it's bolt out but could not believe that what I thought was right so I looked it up and saw I was right. With out looking it up can you get the bolt out of one?.
    But when I work on a Browning I never worked on I ALWAYS pull the schematic and take my time because he did things in a simple but unusual way (Different way) And when I work on them I have said many times "Why did he do it this way?." then sit back and just stare at it and after a while I say "Oh that's why he did it that way". This is simple for me to see now but how he did it to make it work that way is WAY OVER MY HEAD and always think "How did he think of that?."
    Then remember he was a genius.
    I don't care how long you have been or will be a smith you will get in guns that you never worked on and maybe never even seen. But the fundamentals are the same the sear does this that way and the hammer does this to do that and so on but JMB would look at the sear and say how do I make it work more efficient and start to redesign it.
    That's what makes him a designer he looked at what was already there and ask how to change it to make it work better or faster getting to make the final result more efficient (Shooting a bullet).
    But he would take it even farther by knowing there has to be a better way to reload, eject, and so on and this is what made him the best.
    Think about it. He thought about it and figured out that the forward pressure of the bullet leaving the barrel can be used to force back the bolt to eject and reload with no help from the shooter. That sounds simple for us to understand (Because we see and use guns that do it) be there was nothing like that for him so he had to imagine it then draw it then build it.
    Genius with a VERY good imagination.
    And a want and need to figure out something that he thought of when he would say to himself.
    There has to be a better way to make this more efficient.
    Mike

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Limbo Jimbo, carver, Kippy and 3 others like this.
  15. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

I think I got this from TFF a while back but here it is again..

Here's another, narrator is "Davey Crocket"

Clipper, carver, Kippy and 3 others like this.