John Moses Browning

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by goofy, Jan 14, 2019.

1. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I guess 30 or more years ago a good friend loaned a book to me on JMB. I knew a very few of his designs at the time...still don't know many....but the book was enlightening. I have tried in vain to remember the name of the book but alas, to no avail. He truly was a genius. I think if anyone doubts that just look at how many of his designs are still in either use or production.

shootbrownelk, carver, joe45c and 4 others like this.
  2. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I don’t have a safe full of his designers but I have a few and love them all, 1897’s, 1911A1, Baby Browning (a slightly redesigned 1906 Vest), 1894, 1890/06 and a Browning Trombone. Can you imagine being his apprentice?

shootbrownelk, carver, joe45c and 3 others like this.

3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

They are great to watch.
    Thanks for posting them. (even though I was suppose to be getting 3 stocks sanded and prepped).
    Mike

carver, Kippy, BlackEagle and 2 others like this.
  4. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Good Afternoon All...When I saw the name, John Moses Browning, the gun maker I recall
    when my wife and I toured one of the original Mormon settlements there was a gun shop
    there that belonged to the gun maker..It was Nauvoo, Illinois...Perhaps some of you have
    toured that site...very interesting..This is part of what Google had...Chief

John Browning - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Browning

John Moses Browning (January 23, 1855 – November 26, 1926) was an American firearms ... As was common in the Mormon community at that time, Jonathan Browning was a polygamist, having taken three wives. He fathered 21 children and ...
    Nationality‎: ‎American
    Awards‎: ‎John Scott Medal‎ (1905); ‎Order of Lé...
    Children‎: ‎10, including Val A. Browning
    Parents‎: ‎Jonathan Browning‎ (father); Elizabeth ...
    Missing: fame ‎| ‎Must include: ‎fame
    Jonathan Browning · ‎Val A. Browning · ‎Browning Superposed · ‎9mm Browning Long

carver, Kippy, goofy and 1 other person like this.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

It is said, according to what I have read, that JMB designed the gun in his head (totally!) before building the prototype. He worked out all the details in his head before starting the metal prototype. That is genius in spades!

He would complete the prototype, test it, and offer it up to Winchester. They would do the patent in his name, and turn his design into a production gun with detail engineering allowing it to be commercially made. In the beginning Winchester bought the design for one sum of money. When JMB offered up the first semi-automatic shotgun he asked for royalties rather selling out right. Winchester balked on the semi-auto and JMB's demand of royalties. They split ways forever.

I have many JMB designed rifles, both Winchester and the beautifully finished much more recent Browning/Miroku clones (1885, 1890, 1886, 1892, 1894, 1895, 1897). I also have several handguns of his design (1903, 1911, Hi Power). All modern semi-auto handguns use some part of the many JMB designs some 100 years later. Now that is gun genius!

LDBennett

6. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

th.jpg Here's a poster of most of his designs. For some reason the model 94 is not on here.

7. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Well-Known Member

Goofy, Thanks you have brightened my day and a lot of others reminiscing on the extraordinary feats of this great individual. Most every day I have at least one of his creations in hand.

carver, Recoil, joe45c and 1 other person like this.
  8. Empty_Holster

Empty_Holster Well-Known Member Supporting Member

ONLY if it is the same as the Model 600 rifle!!! LOL

kpic and carver like this.
  9. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have one thing in common with him. We were born on the same day. He was just born 95 year before me.

PRR1957, carver, Recoil and 1 other person like this.
  10. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yep it is the same thing. How stupid and poorly designed.
    Mike

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    carver likes this.
  11. Empty_Holster

Empty_Holster Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I always thought so. The push-lever on the Mauser was so easy and so simple Remington had to go out of their way to make an easy task TOUGH...... thks

carver and goofy like this.
  12. deingy

deingy Well-Known Member

Goofy! What kind of analogy would you expect from a guy signed Deingy?
    Expertise/skill vs formal training

gvw3 and carver like this.
  13. Recoil

Recoil Active Member

Good read IMG_20190128_220201473.jpg

carver likes this.
  14. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Some people can't take a joke. :D The 1887 lever action shotgun is one Browning didn't want to do but Winchester insisted on it. I have one and it works but it's clunky.

carver and BlackEagle like this.
  15. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

Mike, I highly agree he was a genius. I'll go another step with that. Most children have the ability to be a genius. All it takes is people around him (or her) to care enough to teach them and let them use their imagination. Children haven't had their minds polluted with negativity the way adults have.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

For the record I understand and happily follow your opening statements. School (formal education) helps but doesn't guarantee wisdom, knowledge or success.

gvw3, shootbrownelk, PRR1957 and 4 others like this.