John Moses Browning

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by goofy, Jan 14, 2019.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

This is John Browning's genius:

He designed the whole gun in his head without the aid of drawings before he started on a prototype. That included all the details of the design, parts and pieces.

I have known some smart engineers in my 30 years as a working engineer and I have never met anyone that could do a similar task. Keeping notes as you go is common, but keeping the entire design in your head without notes is genius!

LDBennett

PRR1957, rawright54, carver and 3 others like this.
  2. Film495

Film495 Well-Known Member

right time right place. I think the guy who finally made the atomic bomb work, wasn't doing anything particularly special up to that point in history. if the world around his was different, I think it was Oppenheimer, he would have no place in history.

I think the world is filled with people who have talent like JMB in their field, but when history lines up just right - you have someone who leaves such a legacy, what a legacy.

BlackEagle likes this.

3. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

A little late to the party for this but, the YouTube channel “Forgotten Weapons” did a review of the design evolution of the 1911.

Also. When I served in the U.S.Army,(1979-82) I repaired M2, .50 BMG’s, and years later when I saw a 1917/1919 I immediately knew it was a Browning design. What genius it was to take the 1917 and just simply scale it up to be the M2 along with scaling up 30-06 cartridge to the .50 BMG cartridge. Pure genius I say.

BlackEagle likes this.
  4. Jolson

Jolson Well-Known Member

My dad was a huge fan of all things Browning. I inherited his collection and the things I am finding are incredible. Anything that was built or designed by Browning, regardless of the manufacturer. Husqvarna, Colt, Remington, Winchester. You name it. If it was a Browning design, my dad had to have it.

BlackEagle, tuckerd1 and joe45c like this.
  5. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looking at the guns you have been posting pics of i'd say your father did Real Good!:clap:

tuckerd1 likes this.
  6. Jolson

Jolson Well-Known Member

I always thought that I was pretty knowledgeable about guns. The Colts, Remington, Winchester, Ruger. I realize now I'm dumb as ****. I wish I could have had just one more day with him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2020
    tuckerd1 and joe45c like this.
  7. eastbanks

eastbanks Well-Known Member

i heard he sold the rights to the BAR to the US government for far less than he could have got.

tuckerd1 likes this.
  8. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

Every "Expert" started out as a novice.

joe45c likes this.
  9. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I didn't look to see how old this thread was. No matter.

10. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

This thread is new compared to some that get opened!:rolleyes::duh:

kpic, BlackEagle and goofy like this.
  11. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

They had just invented rocks when this thread started.
    :lol:

ysacres likes this.
  12. kpic

kpic Well-Known Member

I have a few Browning designs, 1911, Hi-Power, 1897 shotgun, SA-22, Ithaca M-37 etc.
    I've fired Ma Deuce and the 1919 in Vietnam.
    The 50 Cal's tracer burnout is over 2600 yards.. Think about that.. :D

BlackEagle and joe45c like this.
  13. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

Good Afternoon All...Phoenix is having some noted winter weather today and it is beautiful
    out-of-doors...Here at 4 PM, it is about 78 degrees... This post on Browning, the Gun Maker
    started quite some time ago and it was a year ago, almost to the day that I posted this about
    the man....Chief

Good Afternoon All...When I saw the name, John Moses Browning, the gun maker I recall
    when my wife and I toured one of the original Mormon settlements there was a gun shop
    there that belonged to the gun maker..It was Nauvoo, Illinois...Perhaps some of you have
    toured that site...very interesting..This is part of what Google had...Chief

John Browning - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Browning

John Moses Browning (January 23, 1855 – November 26, 1926) was an American firearms ... As was common in the Mormon community at that time, Jonathan Browning was a polygamist, having taken three wives. He fathered 21 children and ...
    Nationality‎: ‎American
    Awards‎: ‎John Scott Medal‎ (1905); ‎Order of Lé...
    Children‎: ‎10, including Val A. Browning
    Parents‎: ‎Jonathan Browning‎ (father); Elizabeth ...
    Missing: fame ‎| ‎Must include: ‎fame
    Jonathan Browning · ‎Val A. Browning · ‎Browning Superposed · ‎9mm Browning Long

BlackEagle likes this.
  14. kpic

kpic Well-Known Member

Exactly correct. JMB had the ability to look at the whole system; then, zoom in on the details of the system. Which in simple words is unbelievable.

I was a senior staff engineer in the automotive sector for 45 years for a few major companies until I retired.
    Same as everyone else; I had engineering tools, a 3D CAD modeler (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTC_Creo_Elements/Pro), Ansys (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansys), CFD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_fluid_dynamics).
    In addition, JMB could put what was in his mind on paper; so others could manufacture and assemble it. To be blunt, that is mind boggling..

When I look at JMB, I stand in awe and it is just that simple.

BlackEagle and Jolson like this.