jp sauer&sohn suhl

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mtodd675, Apr 19, 2009.

1. mtodd675

mtodd675 New Member

i have recently inherited a drilling?from my father it is double 16 im not sure what the rifle caliber is it has "mule ears" as papaw would say the serial number begins with 48xxx then it looks like I211R beside the serial no# when i can i will post pictures if anybody has any idea of a value for this please let me know if you have questions about markings i wiil try to answer thanks:)

2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

mtodd675,

You have quite a combination gun there. Please post pictures of it, and the underside of the barrel with it taken off. There is info there that might help in determining the caliber/gauge of it. It is worth in good condition in the $3,000-$6,000 dollar range. Nice gun to inherit! Hope you pass it on to yours.....Best regards, Kirk

3. mtodd675

mtodd675 New Member

thanks kirk can i find the age trough serial no#

4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

It would have to be in pretty minty condition for a hammer equipped drilling to bring anywhere near that kind of money. I sold one in 80% condition a few months ago for $700.

5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Sorry,

wonderwhippet is right, I missed the external hammer part of the post. Been farming here and not visiting much. I was picturing in my mind that it was a much newer gun than a hammer model of an earlier period. $1,500 tp $2,000 would be more realistic if it is in VERY good shape. My "bad", Kirk

6. vaughans

vaughans New Member

mtodd675,

From looking at the serial# range in my Sauer book and without having seen the gun I would guess it to be a mdl 20 and the rifle calibre to be 11.15x60R
    (43 Mauser), is the bore size about .446 dia.? Is it a side lever opening with a top lever selector or is it a top lever opener with a slide selector on the tang? The proof marking would let you know if it was made before 1893 or after,

Vaughans