Jungle Carbine Arrives! Now with pix!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

ThePitbullofLove
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/8/03 11:01:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Jungle Carbine Arrives! Now with pix!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, it's here.
    $168.50 to my door from SOG.
    She's a keeper!
    Ready?
    marked on left receiver:

No.5 MkI ROF (F)
    1/45 F4946

SN repeats on wrist band, mag bottom, mag rear, underside of the forestock

marked M47C on front sight guard, and A on the other side of front site guard.

Wood is VG-EXC with minor dings, no gouges and good finish.

Metal is VGC with good finish with a bit of browning on the barrel, but strong black finish elsewhere.
    Receiver is free of rust beneath the wood and buttstock cap is free of rust as well (had to buy a big horking screwdriver & turn it with a box wrench!).

The bore is mirror! It has strong rifling.

When I unpacked this gun, it looked good but greasy. A cursory view down the bore showed no visible rifling. I mean the cosmo was thick!
    I pushed a patch down the bore and bings, there was rifling. A few more soaked with Hoppes and a brush down the bore polished her to a mirror shine.

For under $170 delivered, I'm very impressed. I've recently seen No. 5's seling at a local shop for $260 + up. They sell at shows for $225 -$650 (yeah I think that last number is ridiculous too...so must the buyers, it's been on this guys table every show for months!).
    This was my first order from SOG. I give the SOG Jungle Carbine a big thumbs up!

Here's a couple of quick pix...better ones to follow when I can get some daylight!

life is the crummiest book I ever read,
    there isn't a hook, just a lot of cheap shots,
    pictures to shock and characters an amateur would never dream up-Guerwitz-1994

Edited by: ThePitbullofLove at: 1/9/03 7:40:24 pm

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 9:00:51 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Jungle Carbine Arrives! Now with pix!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looks good, PitBull. I've been thinking of wandering over to the Enfields. I like the looks of the Jungle carbine. Haven't decided yet to go with that or one of the ones from Navy Arms MSD.

Any advice?
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

ThePitbullofLove
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/9/03 10:05:05 pm)
    Mine still needs a little cleanup.

Um, well, I've heard that Navy Arms is out of the Enfield business and that they're only going to sell Cowboy Action stuff now.

So right now SOG is the only vendor selling Jungle Carbines, unless you count retailers.

This one was so cheap I took a shot. I was pleasantly surprised.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/10/03 7:59:36 am)
    I was wondering what the deal with Navy Arms was. Last couple of times I tried to order stuff from them they were out of stock.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 8:56:30 am)
    Oh man........ that sucks. I was hoping to place an order from them in the next month or so, for several items. I'm sorry to hear that.

They do have some AWESOME replicas that I'd like to have though.

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 3:42:23 pm)
    Didn't Navy Arms "spin off" their military surplus as Gibbs Rifle Company? In fact, they have/had a "Gibbs Military Collectors Club" or something like that...

RobC in Missouri

ThePitbullofLove
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 6:59:48 pm)
    I believe Gibbs is a different entity altogether. Navy was still operational when Gibbs first came along and the two continued to operate for several years simultaneously.

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/10/03 10:20:19 pm)
    I checked out Gibbs' website.....

I was not impressed.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/11/03 6:51:52 pm)
    Nice one! Its been on my "Must get" list for awhile, but if it goes like it does usually when I finally get the money together and pick up the phone to call SOG I'll get "the last one sold yesterday" and they'll all be gone!

That's what ALMOST happened to me with the $50 Nagant revolvers, but I managed to get one of the last three SOG had, and I'm kicking myself I didn't use the plastic and get all three they had left...they ALL dried up after that, and now about a year or so later I just saw one advertised in SGN for $175.00....

"Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

ThePitbullofLove
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/11/03 9:20:46 pm)
    I was worried about them running out too. That's why I rolled the dice this month and picked one up. I can't find one for sale at a show or shop for less that $275, so I figured that $168 delivered was a heck of a deal as long as it was in shootable condition. This one actually looks nicer in person than in the pictures.

<< Prev Topic | Next Topic >>