·
Registered
786 Posts
Are you wanting to pawn it or sell it?
--Rick Harrison

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
I don't know if I'd call it 'Just another PPK' - PPKs are fantastic pistols (IMHO) when compared to today's poly/aluminum crop. I cannot see all of the markings to state positively, but from what I see is a Post-War civilian Walther. Looks a tad neglected from the pitting. I'd bet a good cleaning and oiling is in order.

If this IS a 'Post War' civilian model, refinishing by a GOOD GUNSMITH might be in order. If it were a more collectable WW2 German military piece it would be best left as-is, but while the post war civilian models aren't as collectable, they are still very nice pistols.

Your pistol is a 7.65mm (.32 ACP) that today is seen as sub-marginal as a stopping power defensive round. Back in the 30s, 40s and 50s they were looked upon as 'decent' in power. They did seem to 'do the job' as far as European military was concerned. Your pistol has the flat base magazine, but there are after market 'extended base' magazines that greatly improve handing and shooting of the PPK with the small grips. If you were asking for the current value, I'd guess somewhere between $400 and $500. I've been away from the shooting/collecting pack for a very long time, and I'm certain someone with more current info will be along shortly. Great post!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
20190324_223555.jpg
I don't know if I'd call it 'Just another PPK' - PPKs are fantastic pistols (IMHO) when compared to today's poly/aluminum crop. I cannot see all of the markings to state positively, but from what I see is a Post-War civilian Walther. Looks a tad neglected from the pitting. I'd bet a good cleaning and oiling is in order.

If this IS a 'Post War' civilian model, refinishing by a GOOD GUNSMITH might be in order. If it were a more collectable WW2 German military piece it would be best left as-is, but while the post war civilian models aren't as collectable, they are still very nice pistols.

Your pistol is a 7.65mm (.32 ACP) that today is seen as sub-marginal as a stopping power defensive round. Back in the 30s, 40s and 50s they were looked upon as 'decent' in power. They did seem to 'do the job' as far as European military was concerned. Your pistol has the flat base magazine, but there are after market 'extended base' magazines that greatly improve handing and shooting of the PPK with the small grips. If you were asking for the current value, I'd guess somewhere between $400 and $500. I've been away from the shooting/collecting pack for a very long time, and I'm certain someone with more current info will be along shortly. Great post!
This is a pre war with some stampings on the grip that I cant ID. Came with a trench art holster made with the GI belt clip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
In the September 2004 issue of Auto Mag (pp. 130-33) in an article entitled "Identification of PPK Pistols Used by the SS," John Pearson discussed three observed Walther PPKs with "unusual" front grip strap markings: ST.P.S.1 (sn 880140); ST.P.S.34 (901054) and ST.P.S.106 (852170). The serial number of one of these pistols (880140) was listed in the booklet ("Red Book") published by Dieter Marschall and Joachim Görtz entitled SS Walther PP/PPK 1939-1945 as having been assigned to the SS. He noted that "an advanced collector" had suggested that the strap mark represented the Staatliche Polizei Saarlande. Pearson postulated that all three pistols with this marking belonged to the SS. The "advanced collector" was Joe Wotka and he has told me that his identification was based on period documentation indicating that the pistol was assigned to an early Gestapo commander in Saarland.

My recent acquisition is PPK 851728 with front grip strap mark ST.P.S.77 and it apparently only the fourth known example of this marking. If the experts are correct, this pistol also belonged to the Gestapo in the Saarland. (I suggest the name of the unit at the time was probably Staatliche Polizei Saarbrücken.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some other info I was able to find. Only About 1800 pistols were made and marked for the police between 1933-37,Very scarce! Can anyone confirm this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts