Just Asking

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by Teejay9, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Twenty years ago I could wander off my property and go shooting for hours and hours. Now all that's sub-divisions and strip malls, so no shooting. There's still a bit of wilderness about 3 to 5 miles from me. I want to put some rounds through my mod. 18 S&W and other .22s. If I went out and fired off a few rounds, using range safety practices of course, and some one called the local LEOs, would they confiscate my guns? That would be a catastrophe:mad::mad:. I want to be sure of point of aim, feed problems, or stability, etc., but don't want any hassles from the good citizens of our town. I'm a bit limited on health and stamina, so going too far afield is out. I can just see some police officer taking a prized gun and keeping it or worse, turning it into scrap metal. What say you? TJ

2. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

It would depend entirely on the state and local governments restrictions. Here in Illinois you would need a FOID card, permission of the property owner, and also not be violating any city ordinances, i.e. discharging a firearm within city limits. Even if you are legally ok, you may still run into problems.

3. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

TJay,
    Could you get a 'day pass' at a range? You could shoot, rest, shoot, rest, and shoot some more as your stamina allowed.

4. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Thanks, but ranges here are far and few between. It would be the ideal place to put the guns through their paces, but the nearest is about 50-60 miles away. The wild areas aren't in the city limits, at least I don't think they are, but I'd hate to run afoul of the Law. I can just see a savvy cop say to himself, "oh, nice piece" and confiscate them for him/her self:eek::eek::mad::mad:. I know, I'm getting paranoid here:D:D. Maybe I can talk my step-son into driving me (alas, no car:eek::eek:). TJ

5. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

We here in tennesse hav the same problem. However we do have sme ranges close. My next question is to see if you or some one you know has some private property you can go to. That is what I do here.

6. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

TJay,
    If you are on good terms with your neighbors, you might always just get your son to drive you over and 'ask'. Chances are, they'd say, "fine" as folks that ask (and really, who wouldn't?) are not the kind that would cause a problem. Ask at your church, or barbership, too. Someone in similar circumstances just might want to have a 'shooting' partner, you never know!

7. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Why not call your local law enforcement agency and ask them? I would try to speak to someone higher up, and if they give you the go ahead, make sure you remember his/her name. That way, if you are out shooting and a squad car officer pulls up and gives you grief, just say,"you might want to check with captain so and so, because he said it is ok to shoot here".

8. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Good advice, you guys Thanks. I'll ask the next cop I see. They're always at the local gun store. I had never thought to ask that question. (BTW, a USED beretta .380 was @ $850 OTD!!! Yikes!) Thanks TJ