The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is just for fun, since it's not likely that personal firearms are going to disappear anytime soon.

But, assuming for the moment that all firearms were banned or that gunpowder disappeared from existence, and all that was left available for carry for personal protection were edged weapons - knives, swords, ax, tomahawk, bows, etc.. What would you choose? No restrictions as to type, size, quantity, etc.. :D

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
I'd have to have a few. Smallish fighting style knife, something that can be manuvered quickly. Then something like a Katana or Samuari Sword. Then to top it off for the heavy hitting a double edged battle axe! :D

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I've four (at the time) compound bows and a few smaller fighting knives that can be used.
I sure wouldnt wanna be hit with an arrow and broadhead within 50yds.
And the survival knife I have is a good all-around tool to have.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Butterfly knife, and shurikens (throwing stars). I wonder if they would limit me to 30 on hand....

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Sadly, the enemy would still have guns and I have no intention of bringing a sword to a gun fight. I would choose a Samurai sword though as my sword of choice because they are quite light and the edge is the best on the planet. Even at my age I could quite probably decapitate a deer with a Samurai sword.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mentioned no restrictions. Which means that modern materials (titanium, ceramics, modern steels, depleted uranium, etc.) and designs that incorporate such, are allowed. The only stipulation is edged. :)

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
I have a shogun ceremonial sword that has a great feel to it -

But ideally, I would come up behing one of those armed dudes, cold cock him, and then I would be armed properly.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I carry knives so a good knife a sword a 'hawk and a bow all would be useful.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'm not quite that well prepared but I do have a few blades that might get me through a tough time.
and a sampling of some other types:

Trouble is I'm 30 years past the point where I could use any of them the way I used to be able to.

Reactions: gunnut1215

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Well the only thing I have is one Katana sword, a wooden practice Katana, several Bowies, a bunch of folders, some sheath knives, one automaitc OTF, and a couple of machetes. I also have a couple of those old brush hooks, and a couple of axes. If I have the gas, add a chain saw to the mix!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Would a cane with a fiberglass shaft running thru it from the handle to the ferrul count?If so,currently sporting such,and already found out that the shins of a teenage street thug bruise quite well with a sharp tap,lol!

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Would a cane with a fiberglass shaft running thru it from the handle to the ferrul count?If so,currently sporting such,and already found out that the shins of a teenage street thug bruise quite well with a sharp tap,lol!
I forgot about the two sword canes I own! They work on any part of the body!:eek: :D

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
would want a Katana for a carry sword, a good tomahawk, a skinning knife and as a backup a WASP knife.

http://www.waspknife.com/ ...for those who want to know...

·
Registered
55 Posts
My husband is a swordmaker. Been doing this for over 50 years now for reenactors and collectors. Also makes other historical edged weaponry. He uses Spring Steel (5160 alloy) for his blades and tempers them using traditional methods.

So for me, it would be a sword of his making. I all ready have a couple of tomahawks and axes of his. As well as a few knives. A good spear (the head being handforged/tempered Spring steel).....should do it.

Not all blade steels are alike and not all carbon alloys are suitable for the demands a good sword blade requires. What would make a nice Knife blade would do poorly when hammered out into its longer cousin. A well tempered sword blade must be "tough"....not "hard" which may make it brittle. There should be some "give" so it will spring back to "true". Not annealed to where a low tempering makes it soft and stay bent.

I have seen sword blades made of tool steel that snapped. Stainless or "Rost Frei" was developed for exactly that.....a "rust free" steel that will keep its' "brighteness" and you don't have to worry about cleaning rust off it. But the heating/tempering process is more difficult. I know armourers who make helmets using Stainless Steel sheet and it's far harder to hammer into shape.

Any "Live Steel" reenactors are leery of using swords of this stuff.

There ain't nothing wrong with a western style sword (and they came in soooooo many different styles depending on the period and design) They were NOT clumsy "hack" and "chop" weapons. They were not "five, 10, or 15 pound "dead bars of steel" only a muscle bound warrior could wield like so many bad fantasy books and movies have led most to believe. Depending on the period and style, a single handed medieval or viking blade weighed under 2lbs. But IF you aren't used to holding one....it would feel heavier.

A well made, tempered sword should feel "alive in the hand" as Ewart Oakshott described in his "Archaeology of Weapons". It would positively "woo you to strike".

Samurai swords have gotten a lot of the "press" from so many popular movies the past few decades. Oriental martial arts includes different weapons and these do require a high degree of skill. Unless you are a reenactor or find a decent movie showing how western martial arts are or were used (and there have been a few)....most are left clueless.

Because by Shogun law.....and the Bushido Code, Japan was left stuck in the 17th Century after their various wars were finally crushed. The Portugese and Dutch traders were kept pretty sequestered and out of Japan proper.....by then, the Western Sword arts had evolved in different ways from the Samurai style. The Rapier fighting style usually won. But by then, Western Military tactics and gun usage was becoming more the fore front in the West. Some Japanese Nobles/warlords, especially the Christianized ones, were beginning to follow their lead and wanted change. At one point, there was a rebellion but the Shogunate crushed them and executed thousands of christianized Japanese at the time.

When USA came in 1857 and there was a famous duel between a samurai and an American Naval officer. The officer used his saber .........guess who won

No, it wasn't the Samurai.

Japanese sword arts is wonderful to watch and the making of their blades is a sacred art. Truly those who create them, traditionally, are "Living Treasures". But there were very good reasons Why Western Swords arts were held in high regard and so were their makers. Why sagas and troubadours would include tales of particular "Magick" swords, their makers and owners. But movies and TV shows showed a different "more modern" view (meaning the producers/directors didn't know a pommel from a sword point)....and all swordplay was done "samurai style" Or just "hack, slash n' chop" was all the "heavy western sword" was good for.

Sorry for going on about this. I'll get off my soapbox now.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Wow, where was he when I made my last spear head from an automotive leaf spring?
The damn thing took me forever, and my ex took it with him when he left. :mad:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts