The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you ask I'm over 60. My dad said it was a 30-06 but there is nothing to identify it. The only thing I found was these markings, see pictures. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Ok, yea it's a gun. :)

P.S. Dad bought several guns right after coming home from WWII. He also left me a Sears.Roebuck 12 GA Slide single pull fire (Fires upon chambering a round, with trigger held down).

Dads 30-06 pix a.jpeg
Dads 30-06 pix b.jpeg
Dads 30-06 pix.jpeg

·
Premium Member
10,138 Posts
deadin called it, US M1917. Wanna see what it looked like before it was sporterized? Here’s the one I have and always enjoy sharing a pic.

B3673FA4-D339-47EB-B1C6-EA18FAE54DAE.jpeg
9D56FEAA-4383-48CD-A1D6-376CC00EBA78.jpeg

These rifles are capable of some nice groups. A few months back I was hitting a man sized gong at 600 yards with iron sights. They are fun shooters.

·
Premium Member
13,213 Posts
deadin called it, US M1917. Wanna see what it looked like before it was sporterized? Here’s the one I have and always enjoy sharing a pic.

View attachment 136451 View attachment 136452

These rifles are capable of some nice groups. A few months back I was hitting a man sized gong at 600 yards with iron sights. They are fun shooters.
Darn it! Every time you post a shot of the absolutely beautiful M1917 I end up drooling on the keyboard! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'll look under the scope. I peeked under it but didn't see anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI: My nephew was in the UP, Michigan, with my dad and I. He was using the shotgun. We gone no more than 200 yards. We went in different directions. All of a sudden my nephew opened fire and all 7 rounds were gone in maybe 15 sec or less. I don't think that he aimed more than the first shot.

Oh yea, the deer was ok, just really scared.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Three variations of the M1917 exist, labeled "Winchester," "Remington" and "Eddystone"
(Eddystone was a subsidy of Remington)
That is if they didn't scrub the receiver ring during the conversion.

My first deer rifle was a M1917. All that had been done to it was to put it in a Fajen stock. It was a real tack-driver... (I seem to remember I paid around $35 around 1957....)

·
Administrator
12,348 Posts
30+ years ago a sporterized M1917 was on my wish list. I never got one though. Yeah I know, keep them pure and original.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I did the slam fire thing once when squirel hunting with Dad. He read me the riot act. Told me, "if you missed with the first shot, you sure as H___ won't hit with the others!"
And, shells weren't cheap. I learned to make that first shot count! I still favor singleshots for simple fun shooting.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
30+ years ago a sporterized M1917 was on my wish list. I never got one though. Yeah I know, keep them pure and original.
I could not bring myself to cut into one that was still original. But if I got my hands on one that somebody already did I wouldn't hesitate to dress it up a bit.
That's still a fine looking rifle that Tick has.

·
Registered
502 Posts
U. S. 1917 rifles are very nice. Remington made the initial supply at the factory in Eddystone, N'Yawk, giving rise the nickname. They were made originally (for the U. S) in .30-06 Springfield caliber. The action is one of the strongest actions ever made. They cock on closing which eases the effort to extract the fired cartridge but is harder to work on to make a light trigger (without the sear slipping if closed fast).

I have three. Two are sporterized, one chambered for "Scott's .30 Improved", one rebarreled in .35 Whelen. The third is original. Nice collectors; great game killers. If the deer is too close to shoot, butt-stroke it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
YEP M1917 I myself have an eddystone model i used a non gunsmithing mount and cheek riser that slides on to scope mine but i have the original parts to put it back as was . I have tired old eye's and do hunt deer with this rifle in PA ,TENN AND WV some seasons with my home brewed ammo .Great rifles .I get good groups from such an old rifle and an old K4 Weaver scope and i cannot wait till spring to post some range reports

·
Registered
164 Posts
I did the slam fire thing once when squirel hunting with Dad. He read me the riot act. Told me, "if you missed with the first shot, you sure as H___ won't hit with the others!"
And, shells weren't cheap. I learned to make that first shot count! I still favor singleshots for simple fun shooting.
Dad would give me one shell, if I didn't bring down a squirrel or rabbit...I didn't get another. Sort'a taught you the wisdom of making the first shot count.

About missing with the first shot then shooting two or three more desperate follow ups , my Dad would say,
" Boy...You just pissing in the wind now "
Due to that kind of upbringing I never felt handicapped with a single shot , make that first one count.
Gary

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
I think you are going to find your rifle is an Eddystone. I caught an "E" among the stamps, and the 1917s had maker's marks all over them (sights, bolts, safeties, wood - all over). And yes - it is likely still .30-06. Might be a Remington or Winchester - but the odds are it is an Eddystone.

The 1917 was a very robust design. I have an unaltered Eddystone - but I had a custom .458 Winchester Magnum built on a 1917 Remington action. Had to sell it after my on-the-job injury - but that was one brutal rifle. Killed at one end and maimed at the other.:eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts