The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just got a Marlin 989m2 from my grandfather. I did a little thread reading and decided I should change out the springs with the J&P spring kit. My question is, when people say to go ahead and replace the buffer, is that the same part as the recoil spring guide? Also, the firing pin looks to be a little short or worn down. I could only find it at Numrich but it was sold out. I need the old style firing pin, everyone seems to have the new style. Any suggegstions where I can get one? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
781 Posts
No, it is not the recoil spring guide.When you take the trigger mechanisim out it is located in the rear of that piece. It is easy enough to replace.When u order one you will recognize the part. As far as the firing pin goes,shoot the rifle and look at the mark on the empty cartridge,it should be a very noticeable strike on the .22 case.

If not you can take the pin out and bevel the edge slightly, both sides.This little operation worked like a charm for me. Have fun, call if you like I have four 60's. 978-424-7024 Cliff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank u for the reply. If I just dry fire the firearm it sounds as if the clicks are sometimes a little more faint then others. Could that be a weak hammer spring?

·
Registered
781 Posts
It could be,does it fire? Changing the hammer spring is no big deal, there is a great video of on the internet. I would suggest you not dry fire the rifle. When this is done, the firing pin will hit outer chamber of your rifle and peen it over,and or dull the firing pin. Keep in mind the cartridge act as a shock absorber they sell snap caps for .22 cartridges.

You can also use the plastic mollys for a snap cap. I believe the yellow ones will fit the chamber.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it shoots. But only most of the time. I only dry fired it a couple times to listen to the hammer. Also, my firing pin seems to be a little short. If there is a cartridge in the chamber there is a little play between the pin and cartridge. The pin only comes out maybe an 1/8 inch if moved all the way forward. Does this sound right? Can U maybe post a pic of ur bolt with pin in it so I can compare? That would be great. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Check the cartridge case of a fired and the misfire and look for the firing pin strike. The amount the firing pin sticks out sounds about right. You can get the hammer spring from Numrich and I believe you can modify the new firing pin to fit yours. I have an older model 60 and I got all my parts from Numrich.Do not hesitate to give me a call if need be.:) Cliff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, just compared a fired shell with one that didn't fire. The pin strike on the one that shot is just a little deeper indention. Do u think its the hammer spring? Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts