The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a glock 17 and have yet to shoot it as no clip or ammo. but the wife also wants a gun and she has a hard time cocking the 17. so i asked the rocky brass company if the 26 was a bit easier to cock and they said about the same. so i'm thinking a revolver may be better. but i want to find one that shoots the 9x19 ammo so i don't have to have different ammo around. one reason i'm leaning on a revolver is it should be easier to cock this or just pull the trigger if needed.

any comments on this is welcome. thanks bob

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Shooting semi-auto ammo in a revolver usually means using a "clip" to hold the cartridges at the right head space for the revolver. This is complicating things more than simply having two different styles of ammo. IMO.

Speaking as one who has probably 10 different types of ammo (at least) it is not that difficult to keep the ammo separate. They look different, feel different, and of course, load differently, so go ahead and get her a revolver if that is what she wants.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
The S&W M&P Shield 9 EZ is easy to rack and it has tabs on the follower like a .22. It does have a grip safety. If she has short fingers it may be hard for her to get a full pad on the trigger. The Ruger LC9S isn't hard to rack and has the smoothest and lightest DA trigger I've ever seen but the mag is harder to load than the EZ.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you could get yourself to accept a .380, the EZE S&W is a joy to shoot and super easy to handle. I have a couple of them around here and they perform just great. You can empty a mag in a hurry, due to the light recoil and hold it on target while you do it. I have one of these in the 9mm too, but I'm not a fan of a large thumb safety on them, as it is too easy to bump one and you are out of action in a hurry and looking at your gun to figure out why it isn't working.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all those great suggestions. one reason i picked the glock was for ease of use and the ablitity to jut put it away and have i if ever needed. i do not have amm yet, hard to get now and still need clips, again scarce. but when available i will fill the clips and put it away after some test fireing for mechanical issues after the build and to make sure the sights are good. then it will be stored. so i do not have to worry it will fire if needed.

a revolver fits that category as well. i seen video of some of the other guns and there issues if not kept oile and cleaned and the glock has few parts that look like they need tons of attention.

i did contact the guy i got my gun from and he told me about a device the fastens to the back of the slide and makes it easier to rack the slid. so i'm gettin one for my gun and if the wife can rack it good then i'm getting her either the 19 or the 26 and then we are set. if not then maybe the ruger. i know ir is not hard to store ammo separate. but in a hurry you do not have time to pick or choose so if all i have are 9x19 then it is a not brainer. and years down the road as crs sets in i will not worry if i picked the wrong ammo. that is why i lean to another glock that the clips all for and the ammo all works.

one question i have 22 rounds that are maybe 50 years old. i test fired one rifle a few years ago and some of the rounds miss fired. but that rifle is the old nylon lever action and i think the firing pin just did not hit good. i have a marlin and this year i i want to test fire that with that old ammo and see if it fires without issues. but if the consensus hre is that ammo is just to old i may just toss it and get new. but have to ask before i just toss it out. now i will not toss it in the garbage i will take it to the police and let them dispose of it. thanks for the great ideas.

·
Premium Member
11,649 Posts
Try the old ammo in the other rifle. If it doesn't fire then, it's outlived its usefulness. As for disposal, I'd stay as far away from a police dept. as is possible, it's none of their business. Pull the bullets with a pair of pliers, dump the powder and I guess you could bury the cases. That little bit of primer in a rimfire, that is evidently inert anyway, isn't going to do anything. Certainly it isn't after being buried.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that may be so but i have 1500 rounds and that is a ton of work. my rifles are not registered. also i may take them to the armory and let them dispose of them. or ask the city where they want me to take them. but i will take your advise and test fire. ir they are in fact good round i may get a pistol for those. thanks

·
Registered
894 Posts
I don't mind the moonclips needed if you go with a revolver, but I doubt that it'd be any easier for her to cock the hammer or pull the double action trigger if she can't rack the slide on your gluck.

This us a good solution to your issue. It's designed as any easy to rack slide, it's a 9mm, and half the price of most 9mm revolvers.
The S&W M&P Shield 9 EZ is easy to rack and it has tabs on the follower like a .22. It does have a grip safety.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm going to try one of those clips on my 17 to see if she can rack it and if she can then i will get her a 19 or 26. thanks

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
that may be so but i have 1500 rounds and that is a ton of work. my rifles are not registered. also i may take them to the armory and let them dispose of them. or ask the city where they want me to take them. but i will take your advise and test fire. ir they are in fact good round i may get a pistol for those. thanks
Charter Arms makes a 9mm revolver that doesn't need moon clips. I have never heard of .22 rimfire ammo going bad because of age. I had some rimfire ammo that was around 40 years old that worked just fine, was your's improperly stored/corroded, bullets loose in the cases?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well 2 cases look good and one case the are at the jacket and lead has white on it that may be some corrosion. the round in all samples will turn in the jacket but i remember they id that when new. so take a look and let me know your thoughts. i may have to dispose of on brick after i go thry them to see how bad they are. thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,342 Posts
I second the S&W Shield EZ in 9mm. Almost anyone can load the mag and pull the slide on this handgun. I had some ammo just like what you show. It would not fire in my guns. I gave it to a range officer. He wanted it, not sure why.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks i'm going to test fire a box out of all there bricks and see if i have issues with my marlin model 39d and if they miss or hang i will just dispose of them and get new. the white can be wiped off easy the rounds are not stuck and no cracks in the jackets. so at this point they are 50/50 i guess. thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have been looking at a few online site for getting another gun but before i do can anyone tell me of these places are good one? jds firearms? rocky brass? f&f firearms? unless this site frowns on these type of recommendations? i got my glock 17 from a guy on ebay but i see the polymer80 kit form rock brass about 200$ cheaper than the guy on ebay. thanks

·
Super Moderator
39,060 Posts
I will gladly provide my address and you can ship that 1500 rounds of .22 to me and I will happily dispose of it for you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks if i find it fails to work in my marlin 39d i may just take you up on it. the brass and lead are worth recovery.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
thanks if i find it fails to work in my marlin 39d i may just take you up on it. the brass and lead are worth recovery.
I think that old .22 ammo will work, but for what purpose? I'd say excellent for plinking, but probably not for hunting.

The brass and lead recovery value will be marginal at best. Nobody picks up the rimfire cases, and we just sweep them up and dump them into the trash. Unless somebody is into casting bullets, the lead will be more trouble than it is worth for scrap metal.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts