The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never had any real interest in AR type rifles until recent news lead me to believe things are going to get very real soon. I looked at a M&P15 but was almost 2k!!!, a Bushmaster that was 1600.00 and thats all thats available locally other than this one. Any ways just bought a DPMS A-15 from a brand new gun shop. I looked at many reviews and 90% leaned toward they were good rifles. The store owner is a military vet. and said they were decent rifles. I ordered a quad rail system and fixed sights for it and planning on adding a Barska sniper scope, fore grip with bi pod and tactical sling and thats about it. Any comments about this rifle welcome!

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
i've heard nothing bad about dpms. good looking machine. quad rail and scope will make it look like a monster :)

I have a barska on a marlin 336 decent glass...

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
ARs are selling for a grand or less all day long now. As for a DPMS, three of the six of my ARs are DPMS. One is an M4 and one is a 24in fluted barrel varmit rifle and one is a half and half. The lower is a DPMS and overall, I have nothing bad to say about any of them.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Congrats on the new AR.

I would strongly suggest that you learn to use the iron sights while saving up for a better optic. Take a little time with irons while thinking about what type of optic you really want. I would not recommend and Barska or a NCStar brand optic because there are far better ones for a little more money.

High power variable, low power variable, red dot, holographic, fixed 4X, ACOG... there are many types of optics that work well on an AR but only one is right for you.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Welcome to the AR-15 Club!
A long while back when I was looking to buy an AR, the DPMS was what I thought I was going to buy, but due to avaialability at the LGS's...went with Stag Arms.

I've heard nothing negitive about the DPMS AR's.

I agree with GunHugger about your choice of optics.
You can buy far better optics as a decent price and worth every penny. I've used Barska and NcStar and there is better out there!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ARs are selling for a grand or less all day long now. As for a DPMS, three of the six of my ARs are DPMS. One is an M4 and one is a 24in fluted barrel varmit rifle and one is a half and half. The lower is a DPMS and overall, I have nothing bad to say about any of them.
This is good to hear! The owner seems to be a good guy, he even wants to sit down with me and take it apart and show me how to take it down, re assemble it and properly clean it. He was a armorer (I think thats what he said) in the military so he knows everything about these guns which is nice. BTW I see your a "Oath Keeper member" Thank you!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Manners. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I have a Barska scope on my CO2 .177 pellet gun.... while it serves it's purpose, that air rifle deserves a better optic. I would suggest something a little nicer than Barska for your new AR15

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
Definitely, congrats on your new AR. I'm still working on getting one.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Congrats on your AR. Nothing wrong at all with DPMS.

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
Boy.. some real barska haters here.

My barska on my 30-30 far out performs the capabilities of that rifle.

It's taken many hogs since I installed it. -0- misses, and all 1-shot kills. Of course in the scrubby florida forests I hunt.. probably 100-120yds is max shot.

for inexpensive optics.. it's decent. it's better than tasco...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All this time I thought Barska was a decent name. I have one on my .22 Marlin and while I haven't used it much it's been a good scope. On the flip side, it's on a .22 and the longest I've shot this rifle was maybe 75 yards, shot one whole squirrel with it (lol) right through both eyes at 40ish yards. What would you guy recommend? I love those eotech's but very pricey. I would love a scope that has red dot and reticles for longer distances but haven't come across one that does both yet. The closest thing I've come across is a tactical combo set up from Barska....sniper scope, laser and tac light on sale for around 300.00

·
Registered
18,035 Posts
what are your intended uses.. 500yd shots? 100 yd shots? 150yd shots?

remember.. everybody has a different idea of what is good and what they will do with it.

a guy wanting to do 500-1000yd shots doesn't want a 130$ scope for his 2000-2500$ rifle.. etc..

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Congrat's. on joining the AR-15 Club. I resisted the urge for many years, but finally yielded about a 1 1/2 years ago. I've been thrilled with my AR ever since. They're good shooters.

BTW, I use a inexpensive 20-60 X 60 Barska spotting scope when I'm at the range shooting and it's been great for my needs. The optics are clear & bright. I've had it for 5 years or so and it's held up well to frequent use. I can easily see .22 hits at 200 yards on my targets.

Look at a Redfield Revolution or Battlezone scope for your AR. They are a good scope that won't break the bank. Made by Leupold. I use a 2-7X40 on my AR and it seems to be plenty.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Congratulations! I bought my first AR back in Dec., before the anti gun craze started. I got the DPMS Bull 20 and I couldn't be happier. I finally got to take it out and sighted it in last weekend. It shoots like a dream.
I put a Bushnell Elite 3200 tactical 10x40 on it. Very clear and very good for low light shooting. Also just $200 on Midway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts