Just wondering how many of us have classic cars?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rae Harrison, Jul 28, 2020.

1. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

Yes, 3 2v carbs. On a Pontiac, that's called a Tripower. On a Mopar it's called a 6 pack. I was just funnin' around

2. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

You can always tell a Pontiac head, they cal it Tri-Power, Dodge freaks call it a Six Pak, MoPar heads with Plymouths have that famous 440 Six BBL badge on the side of that shaker hood or snorkel scoop but mostly they call it a six pak too cause it just sounds cooler than a six barrel.
    Anyway, you can always tell a motorhead, but you can't tell em much. :)
    I think Ford offered a three two barrel induction on some of the older T Birds but I don't recall if they had their own catchy name for it.

3. tom coffey

tom coffey Member

The front suspension is Chrysler torsion bar, commonly called Volare ifs, but the same set-up was found under all rear wheel drive, mid and full size Chrysler passenger cars from 1976 til the last rear wheel drive was produced.
    It was placed loosely, under the Ford frame, after the frame was notched for it about 22 years ago. The truck was recently moved outside, after being stored inside for the past 20, and the suspension has shifted slightly during the move. I will put it back in place and weld it in, before rebuilding it completely.
    I sold the Panel to a friend about 20 years ago and then bought it back about a year ago. I have done the Chrysler ifs swap on F100 Fords before and they ride and drive great.

One Shot likes this.
  4. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Ford called it tripower also I believe. Whatever brand or name they ALL could MT a gas tank awfully fast:eek:

sharps4590 likes this.
  5. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

I have a 1957 Oldsmobile 98 "Six-Pack" in my garage attic.

a 1967 Corvette with the 435 hp. 427" big block with the 3 monster Holley carbs was the gas chugging champion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2020
    accident likes this.
  6. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Garandaholic Supporting Member

No matter what you call any of them, for a street engine (under 500hp) a single 4 bbl is far easier to tune and will usually outperform any multicarb setup.

7. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

I got probably the best all around performance out of that 340 engine running the aftermarket Holley carbs on it. It was making more power than with the factory 850 thermoquad, was far easier to tune and keep in tune than the factory carbs on my 440 Cuda. And after installing an overdrive fourspeed it got 22 MPG on the highway and it still launched like a rocket in first gear. Normal running around was on a 350 cfm 2 barrel but when you slammed open those 500 cfm outboards the thing would flat out either lift the front wheels or smoke the tires. Those aftermarket Holleys had regular metering blocks rather than the non tune able metering plates the factory carbs had. Dang I miss that car, lol.

shootbrownelk and sharps4590 like this.
  8. ScrapMetal

ScrapMetal Well-Known Member

Okay, it's in rough shape but getting better! It's a "Franken" Cuda, the body is a '73 but the 440 engine is out of a '69 Roadrunner while much of the interior, tranny (manual with Hurst 4-speed shifter), and dash is out of a '70 cuda that I had years ago.

The first couple pics are after pulling it out of storage and getting it on a trailer to the body shop (Plum Crazy in Fremont, NE http://www.plumkrazyrestorations.com/ )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Taking it apart in the shop...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right now it is all broken down to individual parts and over at the sandblaster's place. I have the engine in my shop at the office to do some work on it.

When done, it should look like it just came off the showroom floor (despite being a chimera :D)

-Ron

9. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Some armor all on that dash pad may have helped a little :rolleyes:.

shootbrownelk and accident like this.
  10. ScrapMetal

ScrapMetal Well-Known Member

Well, at least I might be able to salvage the speaker bezel. :D

-Ron

howlnmad and shootbrownelk like this.
  11. 22to45

22to45 New Member

12. Thomas J.

Thomas J. New Member

This is right up my alley, got mine back in Oct.-19 , a 1954 Chevy 210, one step below the BelAir. She's been at the upholsters for a few months now getting her insides redone hopefully she'll be home soon.

The other two are my sons' who got me into the classic car thing, a 40Ford RatRod and a 50 Mercury both of which are being rebuilt now by him.
    w2_pep.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 8.12.02 PM.png

IMG_0427.JPG

13. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

Back in 95 friends and I went to the Canton Car Show. It's the biggest for our area. We took my 84 Grand Prix Brougham since my car was comfy and had ice cold AC. I parked under a shade tree 3 blocks from the entrance. When we went to leave there was a crowd of about 20 guys around my car asking why I didn't enter it. I didn't think it was worthy even though it had a custom paint job. Although it did win best in show at Ft. Benning a year earlier. Four coats of 2 tone maroon and seven coats of clear with gold dust in the first clear. Man, that was a real beautiful car

Grizzley1 and Rae Harrison like this.
  14. 68c15

68c15 TFFWPP President Supporting Member

Like the 600-750 Holley conglomeration I built for my SBC 80 K20? True, honest to God 17mpg at 75mph. In guns we have the Greenhill formula. There is a formula for car engines also. A typical hot street engine turns about 85-90% volumetric efficiency. The normal 350-360 size engine is quite happy with a 500 cfm carb. My K20 was running around 110%, that's why the 600 with 750 baseplate and stepped annular boosters

CCHolderinMaine likes this.
  15. Hovannes

Hovannes Well-Known Member

1924 Fordor Model T
    1926 Buick two door awaiting restoration
    1958 Morgan 4/4
    A Model T basket case