The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.Bought a used Kahr P380, took it to the range, and now I know why the butt wizard (pardon my hostility) was selling it. The slide constantly wants to lock open between rounds. Well naturally I have to see if I can fix it myself before doing something crazy like paying Kahr a fortune to maybe fix it, maybe not, and either way end up with more invested than it's worth. We paid $600 + fees, but if it aint reliable it aint worth 6 bucks.
This is actually my wife's gun and with the CT laser and both extended and non-extended mags we thought this would make a good ccw if she decides to apply for it.
Anyway in my initial assessment I'm only finding visible wear to the trigger bar where the slide contacts it to push it down. You can see a little burr on the top curved area from the slide hitting it. Also it appears to be wearing at the polymer where that curved part touches the ceiling of the slide channel. Though it seems unrelated to the issue, I thought it worth reporting. On the bench everything seem to operate proper including the slide lock, and the slide lock spring "is" in position pushing down on the slide lock as it should be. That was the first thing I checked hoping to find the culprit, but no love there.
Does anyone have any successful experience troubleshooting this issue on a Kahr P380? Also I need to buy some micro torx to remove the screws and would you know what size they are on this? I don't have anything that small.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I know them very well. Your slide locking problem while shooting is bc of the slide lock spring being on the wrong slide of the slide lock lever or it being broken. thats the biggest problem with them when field stripping them, when re assembling them you have to make sure the slide lock spring is over top the slide lock, not under it otherwise the lever will bounce up into the slide notch while shooting. The frame wear is normal. Torxs size is a T5 IIRC Lowes sells a mini torxs set that fit it. I have the springs if you need them.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Helix, the slide lock mechonism was the first thing I checked when I broke into it and the spring was on the correct side (top side) holding down on the lock. Didn't seem to be any obstruction from filth either, I cleaned it up anyway but still can't find any reason for it locking up. I played with the magazine to see if the rounds might be hitting the slide lock since the follower can't be causing it. Doesn't look like that's the problem.
Here's a pic of the spring. I removed it and bent it down ever so slightly just to create a bit more tention on the s/l in case it's weakened and allowing recoil to throw the s/l up into the slide. I made sure my thumb wasn't hitting it while I was in the field firing so I'm stumped. All I can come up with is "Is recoil causing it?"

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Easy way to tell is to shoot it while holding the stop down with your weak hand thumb. If it goes through the whole mag then that's it. Also make sure that screw is tight and also the spring has a leg that protrudes into the frame. Is the ledge were the spring sits on the stop nice and sharp?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't call it sharp but the spring seems to pop in and out of the pocket ok, in other words I believe the spring to be staying in place. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to replace the spring though.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the springs if you need them.
The spring it intact, leg in frame etc, but I would like to go with a new one if you have them for sale. Paypal or any of the other methods are fine, you can let me know on that.

Is the ledge were the spring sits on the stop nice and sharp?
I think the outer edge of it could stand to be sharper so as to avoid jamming the spring inward or going over the top. Is that what you meant? I can see that the spring has been bent inward slightly from the lock being reinserted. After removing thr spring to bend it down a tad I had to loop a piece thread around it to pull it up while snapping the lock back into place, otherwise I couldn't get under it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.