The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,
I have a KENT 30-06 rifle that I am looking for some information on. Web searching has really only offered up two hits on it, both of which are simply dated auction sales of this style rifle. I am trying to get some information on it and to possibly mount a scope (looks to be ready to accept scope bases-although I have no idea which ones to purchase).

*The overall condition is "Very Good" with little to no blatant marking/dings or corrosion present.
*On the side (picture is a bit out of focus-even after several attempts) is stamped 30 06 C41. It is "C41" although it looks like a "G41". (Barrel is discolored)
*Also stamped in the top of the barrel:
-KENT FIREARMS LTD- , E. WOODLAND AVE. SPRINGFIELD. PENN.
*Operations are smooth and reliable.

Unfortunately, I can find no information on it, let alone which Bases to attempt to mount for a scope. I have no idea if it was an "everyday rifle" from a department store or a turkish/foreign mod or what....

Any help or information someone may be able lend would be most appreciated.
Thank you

Attachments

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Good morning all,
I have a KENT 30-06 rifle that I am looking for some information on. Web searching has really only offered up two hits on it, both of which are simply dated auction sales of this style rifle. I am trying to get some information on it and to possibly mount a scope (looks to be ready to accept scope bases-although I have no idea which ones to purchase).

*The overall condition is "Very Good" with little to no blatant marking/dings or corrosion present.
*On the side (picture is a bit out of focus-even after several attempts) is stamped 30 06 C41. It is "C41" although it looks like a "G41". (Barrel is discolored)
*Also stamped in the top of the barrel:
-KENT FIREARMS LTD- , E. WOODLAND AVE. SPRINGFIELD. PENN.
*Operations are smooth and reliable.

Unfortunately, I can find no information on it, let alone which Bases to attempt to mount for a scope. I have no idea if it was an "everyday rifle" from a department store or a turkish/foreign mod or what....

Any help or information someone may be able lend would be most appreciated.
Thank you
You may want to take a look at this you tube video. It's about a Kent 308 but the same info may or may not, apply to your rifle. Sounds like they were imported from Spain for a few years,

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
The rifle in the video is a Spanish Small Ring Mauser Model 1916. Chambered in .308 is an accident waiting to happen. Best case, the bolt locks up for locking lug setback.
Edward, your rifle is a much stronger Large Ring Mauser 98, most likely a Spanish M48. I'm not sure who built these, but Kent was the importer. 4 holes are usually for two piece mounts, but there's one piece mounts that will work too. Call Brownell's and give them the center to center measurement on the holes. Let them know the stripper clip charger hump has been ground off, makes a difference on the mount used.
https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/rifle-bases/standard-two-piece-rifle-bases-prod7863.aspx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rifle in the video is a Spanish Small Ring Mauser Model 1916. Chambered in .308 is an accident waiting to happen. Best case, the bolt locks up for locking lug setback.
Edward, your rifle is a much stronger Large Ring Mauser 98, most likely a Spanish M48. I'm not sure who built these, but Kent was the importer. 4 holes are usually for two piece mounts, but there's one piece mounts that will work too. Call Brownell's and give them the center to center measurement on the holes. Let them know the stripper clip charger hump has been ground off, makes a difference on the mount used.
https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/rifle-bases/standard-two-piece-rifle-bases-prod7863.aspx
Thanks for the information Trap55.
I will check into that. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
On a Mauser made for American use , there are only two dimentions used for scope mounts.
They will be the same as a set of Mauser 98 Weaver mounts. Sorry, I can't remember the exact spacing between the holes. But the weaver two piece mounts should fit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On a Mauser made for American use , there are only two dimentions used for scope mounts.
They will be the same as a set of Mauser 98 Weaver mounts. Sorry, I can't remember the exact spacing between the holes. But the weaver two piece mounts should fit.
Thank you grcsat, I will look into this also.
I appreciate it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
Went on and contacted that distributer like suggested.... initially via chat and was given two options for mounting bases. Both options were PIC type bases. (No front and rears available at this time.) Only one option really, as the cheaper of two doesn't have any pre-drilled mounting holes. The second of the two while it is aluminum and in the $70 range, had poor reviews as far as fitting a lrg ring Mauser 98 correctly. So I called and pretty much was given the same information. The pre-drilled mounting holes on what they have to offer are a "typical" hole pattern that MAY need to be "modified to fit" correctly. All good information but the Gunsmith did say there are individual bases out there, they just do not have any available at this time.
Soooooo, I will keep looking. Its all good information AND I am further along with this than I was yesterday morning so thank you all, for the great information and suggestion thus far.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks grcsat. I will check those out.
I know the dimensions of CTC on both bases. Will double check these to the dimensions.
Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts