The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my Kentucky Long Rifle that was inherited from my Great Great Great Grandfather, John Hobbs. He was born in 1832 and it has been in my family since then. All the parts are still there. No markings found on the gun, is in fair condition I would say, could use a proper cleaning. Wondering just on an average of a value set forth on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Just wondering about a price I should sell at, the previous guy offered me $100 because he wanted to put it over his mantle .. That didn't set well considering how far the gun has came.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
It's not in all that great condition though. There should be some markings somewhere. Can't really tell from the pics, but that line on the butt stock looks like it could be replacement wood. As a wall hanger it has some value but I don't think it's likely to be in any kind of firing condition and that detracts a lot for the value. $100 may actually be a pretty fair price for it.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
The stock has a very unsightly repair. The ramrod is missing as is the nose cap if it had one and it looks like the barrel is held to the stock with electrical tape. A very poor specimen indeed. Its not worth much. I don't understand wanting to sell something that's been in the family for so many years.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I'd have to say, Don't Sell It...get a new stock & make it nice again...then give it to your kids...
or maybe hand it off to a family member or sell it to a family member...that can afford to really fix it up properly...

Heirlooms that have gone thru 4+ generations deserve to stay in the family.
It is a responsibility given when someone hands down an artifact...
believe me when I say that if you sell it for chump change, someone in the family will be upset...maybe multiple someones...

Stock replacement is generally a no-no with antique guns, however, as bad as that stock is...its called for.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I appears to have been made by an inexperieced gun smith--I've never seen a lock placed at that angle--finding a replacement stock and fitting it would be problematic. And it appears to have a cheek piece (albeit upside down) on the right side--your ancestor may have been left handed. If you have no interest is keeping it or fixing it up, $100 is more than fair.

Personally, I'd piece in the missing wood, reattach the barrel correctly (it was probably pinned on) and hang it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts