The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I have a Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1 in 303 British that my boss gave me after his dad passed away, well I was thinking about maybe getting a sporterized stock and a scope mount with my Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC on it. Before I spend the cash on the stock and scope mount I am going to take it to a local gunsmith and have it looked over and headspaced to make sure it is okay to shoot. I was wondering what you guys thought of that? It's a very nice rifle that I don't want to screw up, but I need a good hunting cartridge and I thought it would be a great way to honor my bosses dad by making his old rifle my hunting rifle. Here's a few pics of how the gun looks now. http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=122585&highlight=lee+enfield

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a similar problem. I got a no4 mk1* from my uncle that was sporterized but I wanted to make it into its military configuration. Since I'm a history buff and wanted a true ww2 enfield I decided to go ahead with converting it back. However I did keep the scope and rail mount from the sporterization on it since it added to the rifle's accuracy. Honestly your gun's worth more as it is but if it is something you're going to keep just for hunting sporterize it but keep the military stock so that if in the future the urge to sell it sets in you can get more money for it. I still hunt with mine in its military stock and it's a fun gun to shoot. I love getting the attention from using it since not many people here in mississippi would take a military rifle and hunt with it as is.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
I understand what you say about honoring a person you respect, but if the person who had it passed it on to you like the way it is, would not it be better to keep it like he had it? Unless you spoke with that person about it, I'd suspect that the man who had it kept it in it's original configuration for a reason.

Also, "Sporterizeing" your rifle is not a really great idea. Several reasons why:

1.) It will be worth much less when you finish than when you started;

2.) The .303 British is a good hunting caliber - NOT a GREAT hunting caliber;

3.) You can find a much nicer sporting rifle for the money you are about to burn in wrecking your rifle - the parts alone you are going to buy for it will buy you a real sporting rifle;

4.) Even just drilling and tapping the receiver (a job you will WANT a gunsmith do do - these are really hardened steel) for mounting a scope will cost you about $60 per hole - then you have holes where there should'nt be any holes if ever you decide to try to un-do what you are about to do.

It's your rifle, so do whatever you want with it. Just a shame that another piece of history is about to evaporate. They're not making any more original WW2 British rifles these days.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
There is a scope mount kit you can get for it from ATI - they are available on Amazon for around $40 and do not require any drilling. I'd put a scope on it and hunt with it as is. Definitely wouldn't sporterize it. I just bought one that is sporterized and may look for an original stock to put it back to what it should be.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
There is a scope mount kit you can get for it from ATI - they are available on Amazon for around $40 and do not require any drilling. I'd put a scope on it and hunt with it as is. Definitely wouldn't sporterize it. I just bought one that is sporterized and may look for an original stock to put it back to what it should be.
I have go agree
think of all of the 03 Springfields that were sportorized vs how many of them were unmolested and what they are worth today

they are only orginal one time;)

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
if you can get a scope mount that will not deface it.. I would and hunt with it like it is, if it is safe / gunsmith checked.

I'm not a fan of defacing C&R guns...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your responses, Will that's my 1st idea was to leave the stock alone and install the ATI scope mount. Also I found out that ATI has a stock that can be had on Flebay for around $65.00 its called the monte carlo http://www.atigunstocks.com/stocks/153-enfield-monte-carlo-stock-no-4-mk-1-2-5.html. If I do this then I am still not going to cut off the bayonet lugs, for when I want to return the rifle to the original condition.

·
Registered
18,036 Posts
if you can add the scope with no mods, and return it to original furniture in original condition after removal of the new stock.. IMHO.. that's the best bet to preserve historical / collector value.. IMHO

·
Registered
244 Posts
There was a saying during World War One about each counties rifles. If you wanted a military rifle, get a British Enfield, if you wanted a hunting rifle, get a German Mauser and if you wanted a target rifle, get an American Model 1903 Springfield.

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
There was a saying during World War One about each counties rifles. If you wanted a military rifle, get a British Enfield, if you wanted a hunting rifle, get a German Mauser and if you wanted a target rifle, get an American Model 1903 Springfield.
Lined up side by side in one of our racks is a 1915 BSA No.1 Mk.III Enfield, 1905 Spandau Gew 98 Mauser, 1918 US M1903 Springfield, and a 1918 US M1917 Winchester. The first and last are strictly business military rifles - no mistake about that at all, the Mauser seems to be made to more exacting atandards, and if anything kinda looks like my Whitworth hunting rifle trying to play soldier, and the Springfield's a true work of art from the target shooter's standpoint, but I'd hate to be fiddling around with what appears to be a relatively delicate and finely tuned rear sight under trench warfare conditions.

·
Premium Member
13,254 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses, Will that's my 1st idea was to leave the stock alone and install the ATI scope mount. Also I found out that ATI has a stock that can be had on Flebay for around $65.00 its called the monte carlo http://www.atigunstocks.com/stocks/153-enfield-monte-carlo-stock-no-4-mk-1-2-5.html. If I do this then I am still not going to cut off the bayonet lugs, for when I want to return the rifle to the original condition.
If memory serves me, I think you'll have to remove the front sight guard "ears" in order to slide the upper handguard's retaining ring off the barrel, otherwise I believe it'll interfere with proper seating of the ATI synthetic forend. It's no big deal - just one screw and the ears slide off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts