The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe it or not, when it comes to our worst enemy in the animal kingdom, sharks, alligators, snakes and other commonly feared animals need not apply. In fact, none of the "terrifying" animals portrayed as " killers" in our culture are responsible for the most human deaths.

The animals that claim the largest number of lives in the United States are deer. "The Insurance Information Institute estimates that there are more than 1.6 million deer-vehicle collisions each year, resulting in 200 occupant deaths, tens of thousands of injuries and over $3.6 billion in vehicle damage. An additional billion dollars is spent on medical payments for injuries to people in the car and out-of-pocket expenses paid by vehicle owners, bringing the total cost to approximately $4.6 billion. The average claim for deer-vehicle collisions is $3,000, with costs varying depending on the type of vehicle and severity of the damage.

So you see, guns don't kill people, Deer kill people. So I don't have a problem killing them back. :D

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I'm doing my part, eating as many as I can!!

large herd, assault bucks running rampant. Time to move those crossing signs so the deer will cross somewhere else...... :eek::rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
I live out in the sticks and have a long commute to work (over 50 miles each way), so I drive a small, fuel-efficient vehicle. The deer have played hell on my car. I average at least one major deer strike per year. I've had my car for 5 years now and have had to completely replace the front end of it at least 3 times, thanks to the deer.

It's a huge problem. Of all the things that could kill me on a daily basis, a deer strike that goes badly is on the top of my list of ones to worry about. It's also the reason I no longer ride a motorcycle.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My wife and I had a conversation about this awhile back. I'm surprised being a profit driven company that more insurance companies don't support Deer hunting in States that have a high incident of Deer/Car collisions. They could pull in the "Hunter" business and possibly save some money by thinning out the herd, so to speak.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I've always shook my head ( and sometimes my finger) at people who kill snakes simply because it's there.
It's a rare thing to actually "need" to kill a snake, and killing a non-venomous one is often simply stupid.
Now don't get me wrong, on my brothers hobby ranch we did kill the Western or Prairie rattlesnake's we found, but only because of the horses and mules, and only around the buildings and paddocks.
A snake bit horse or mule is very costly, and sometimes you spend the money and still lose the animal.
We also caught and released the Bull snakes we found into those same areas, because they eat the rattlesnakes. And the mice and rats and jacks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.