Kimber .45

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member Supporting Member

jason pa
    (6/29/01 12:10:08 pm)
    Reply Kimber .45
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does anyone have a Kimber .45? i have a pro carry.
    Was wondering about jamming i guess out iof 100 rds it jammed 4 times is that normal? i use winchester and lawman ammo.

thanks J

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/29/01 12:51:20 pm)
    Reply Re: Kimber .45
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jason, without knowing what type jam it's hard to say. I would suggest changing the mag followers ( Metalform) or using Wilson or Metalform mags. More than likely that will solve your problem. I also own a Kimber Custom Target model. I've never had a problem with any Kimber.

jason pa
    (6/29/01 1:12:57 pm)
    ok thanks Shooter. i am kinda a newbie when it comes to guns. i have had them for 3 yrs but my father never had any or taught me about them so its hard to learn all this stuff!
    J

hammer4nc
    (6/30/01 6:24:48 am)
    jason,

In addition to what shooter45 said, what type of ammo? 1911's were designed to feed ball ammo (fmj round point). If you're shooting hollowpoints, with possibly shorter overall length, can induce feedramp type jams. A gunsmith can tune 1911's to feed hollow more reliably. Also, if you're getting "stovepipe" jams, (spent case gets caught in ejection port) can be due to "limpwristing", just what it says...its best to keep tight grip upon recoil, to ensure that the slide cycles fully. Other issues having to due with recoil springs, if you're using non-standard loads, but I suspect you're using factory ammo. Just some possibilities.

Xracer
    (6/30/01 9:21:06 am)
    Failure to feed? Failure to eject? Please be more specific with your problem.

If you're having a feed failure, I suspect that it's with hollowpoints or semi-wadcutters. If such is the case, dry a different magazine. If that doesn't solve the problem, take it to a gunsmith and have him taper and polish the feedramp.

If it's failure to eject....as hammer says, it may be "limpwristing". Keep your wrist locked, and your elbow slightly bent and "loose"......as you fire, allow the recoil to bend your elbow up....bring the weapon down 'till you have a good "sight picture", and fire again. If that doesn't solve the problem, it's something mechanical in the pistol......spring, extractor, or ejector. Take it to a gunsmith.

jason pa
    (7/2/01 11:15:24 am)
    Thank you guys very helpfull info!
    It is a eject issue. the spent shell gets stuck. i have been very acurtae with it so im not sure its limp writing but it maybe my elbos i tend to lock one.
    J

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (7/7/01 11:29:58 am)
    Jason, I must have missed this post. Sorry.
    Failure to eject
    Cause: 1. Broken extractor hook.-- Replace extractor.
    2. Dirty chamber.-- Clean chamber with bronze brush.
    3. Recoil spring too heavy.-- replace with lighter spring.
    4. Loose ejector.-- tighten ejector.
    Since your pistol only fails to eject from time to time, I would suggest you clean the chamber. Remove the barrel to do this so you can make sure you get it clean. I hope this helps. Shooter