Kimber Custom Target

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Shooter45, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

My supplier brought me a new batch of bullets to try. I decided on 4.9 gr WW 231 as a starting load. The bullets were 201 gr LSWC. Now thru the years I've used 185 gr, 200gr, and 205 gr. The 205's were from Clements Custom Castings and always shot well but after George got ill, he ceased production. I turned to my buddy, Fast Eddie, for my supply of bullets. He pours the best 200 gr LSWC I have ever used. So he brings the 201's, smiles and says" shootum".

Well, what the heck, they're free.

I had just finished cleaning my Kimber Custom Target and really wanted to get it dirty again so, since I still had some daylight, out to the range.

I had shot 25 yards all day so I moved back to 50.
    Put the sandbag on the bench and fired away. The first shot was high on the target as usual and the pistol settled down as the barrel heated up.
    The green dot is 3" and all 20 rounds were inside the dot. I have 30 more of these bullets and I'll use them to try and work up a better load if possible.

Attached Files:

2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss Active Member

That's good shootin'! :)

3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

BOY!!!!!!!!

I'd hate to be facin' that one, Sam.

Nice shooting!!!!!!!!!!

:) :) :)

4. punchie

punchie Active Member

If possible? 20 rounds inside of 3" at 50 yards. Admirable at the least, ifn you get it to shoot much better than that I just MIGHT have to get a Kimber after all.

5. inplanotx

inplanotx Active Member

Great shootin Sam. Is the 201 a H&G 68 type?

6. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

Punchie, I bought this Kimber around 1997. It was the first Custom Target in this area and and was very accurate out of the box. I did fit the barrel and link then installed a match bushing. A trigger job was next.

I'm thinking of installing a Kart NM barrel one day but the pistol can out shoot me now.

I've shot the pistol in IPSC ltd class matches and it has always performed well, winning more than I can count. Also, I've never had any problems with the pistol and recommend Kimber highly. So get one. :)

IPT, the bullets are H&G # 68 type.

7. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

That's some mighty fine shootin' dude. My brother and I shoot the 200 gr SWC over 5.2 gr of 231 and have gotten great results. Does Fast Eddie ship? Wouldn't mind trying a couple thousand of those.

8. Bullseye

Bullseye Guest

Hell , I couldn't shoot a group like that even if I used a Ransom Rest! :eek:

9. stash247

stash247 Guest

Punchie--- It looks like 19 of those shots went into 2"!!!
    So Mo and Marlin got right; GREAT shootin, don't EVER want a shootin' dispute with Shooter45.
    Please, Shooter, don't "fix" the Kimber. I've shot a couple of Kart barrels, and a couple of their .22 pistols, as well. No matter what a parts provider will promise, they have no control after the parts leave them. Kart build good barrels; seldom if ever have I seen their results any tighter than yours.
    Just for grins, next time at the range, put the first round in the berm, then shoot the group, but do not shoot dry; let the pistol chamber every round for record. Bet you lose the flyer!

10. stash247

stash247 Guest

Relative term. It's hard to call 1" out of a 50 yd group a flyer. Good shootin' again.

11. Shooter45

Today's temp will be about 80 deg so I'm taking the Kimber to the range to do a little target work. I have 10 rounds of Fast Eddie's 201 gr ammo loaded with 5.2 gr WW 231. I'll see if the groups tighten up. I also have a few Lake City match rounds to try but don't know the bullet weight as the box is long gone.

12. Shooter45

The range session went well as usual. The groups spread with the 201's and 5.2 gr WW 231. The Lake City match ammo in this pistol makes for some tight groups but not as tight as most of my reloads.

More to come later.