Knife gift

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by PRR1957, Nov 23, 2019.

1. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

A good friend and son who I was helping at gun shows asked me to do some research for prices on some of the knifes and for my help, he gifted this knife to me. He could not remember the custom knife maker’s name, but GV is stamped onto the blade. The blades cutting edge is 2”, and the overall length is 4-3/4”. The knife is retained in its sheath with a snap. I will probably never cut anything with it, but it is still a neat little knife.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2019
  2. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

That is cute.

Fletch.N and shootbrownelk like this.

3. Fletch.N

Fletch.N Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Never seen one with a snap like that before. That is indeed very cool. I wouldn’t let it go either.

4. sparkyv

sparkyv Well-Known Member

Yes, the snap is certainly unique.

Fletch.N likes this.
  5. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is a nice knife

Fletch.N likes this.
  6. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

The Gerbers have piqued my interest....

7. PRR1957

PRR1957 Well-Known Member

I did a internet research and learned the knife maker’s name is Gerald(Gerry)Vassella. I am not sure if Vassella is still making knives, but found some of his knives both new and a few slightly used on some online custom knife retailers. Arizona Knives had a few of his neck knives along with fixed blades, and switch blades. Pricey.

Fletch.N likes this.
  8. jsjj388

jsjj388 Well-Known Member

gorgeous knife!

9. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

That IS a cute knife, although, cute probably shouldn't be used when referring to a knife! I saw that you said they were pricey. Is it sharp?

I don't think I will ever understand why it appears, knife makers , specifically the ones that make the blade and all sundry parts, charge such high prices. I understand about the starving artist and the time to learn to forge the steel, but gee whiz $300 & $400 for a knife? I do love good knives, but I guess I don't make enough to drop that much on a custom knife, when Buck & Gerber are mass producing pretty amazing products.

I DO understand it, but I just don't GET it, if you know what I mean. It's just a question that always arises when I see the knife guy at a gun show, lol.

10. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

Pretty and expensive.

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

When I was stationed in Rhode Island back in late 80s/early 90s, I got into collecting knives. I got to be friends with a few custom makers in the area, Bill McHenry, Norman Bardsley, Ralph Selvedio, and a couple more. I got to be a really good friend of Ralph Selvideo (Rattler Brand) whose only source of income seemed to be his knives. He made some beautiful ones and when he had a full belly, he would easily get $500 and up for some of his knives. I waited for his hungry times and got a few of his knives, over time, for about $100 each!

12. Empty_Holster

Empty_Holster Well-Known Member Supporting Member

At $20 per hour and 2 days to make a nice knife that comes to $300........ that does not include materials, etc. I don't find that at all out of line for a custom knife.

Grizzley1 and sharps4590 like this.
  13. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not to belittle a custom knife makers skill, mass production has made many tools cheaper & more consistent quality than one-offs. If you need a knife for daily use, mass produced are definitely the way to go. If you are looking to be a collector for unique, original & some day hopefully increasing in value items, custom knives can be a good way to have an interesting collection at moderate prices. $500 to $1500 bucks ain't chicken feed but compared to collectable art or even rare guns, hand made knives are a real bargain.

After my brother passed, I found myself in possession of a number of Randall Made Knives that he had been collecting. Not being a knife collector, I sold them on eBay. Some days I'm sorry, but the money helped me buy a few guns I would otherwise not have been able to afford.

Empty_Holster likes this.
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

When I was transferred out of one Army unit, the members went together and bought me a Randall #1 that was engraved with my rank, name, unit, and dates I was there. When the commander presented it to me, he said they had it engraved so that I could not sell it!!

15. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Guns, knives, bamboo fly rods, ad infinitum. You can get a Savage Axis that will probably shoot as good as that custom Mauser/Model 70/1903 or a Gerber, Buck or Case that cuts and holds an edge as well as a Randall or Jimmy May Damascus. An $120.00 Cabela's/Bass Pro/Reddington graphite fly rod catches fis as well as a $5,000.00 Dickerson, Payne or Leonard. After that the question becomes which one puts a bigger smile on your face or gives greater pleasure in its use. Some things I'm cheap or frugal about.....some things I ain't.