The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
A good friend and son who I was helping at gun shows asked me to do some research for prices on some of the knifes and for my help, he gifted this knife to me. He could not remember the custom knife maker’s name, but GV is stamped onto the blade. The blades cutting edge is 2”, and the overall length is 4-3/4”. The knife is retained in its sheath with a snap. I will probably never cut anything with it, but it is still a neat little knife.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Never seen one with a snap like that before. That is indeed very cool. I wouldn’t let it go either.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a internet research and learned the knife maker’s name is Gerald(Gerry)Vassella. I am not sure if Vassella is still making knives, but found some of his knives both new and a few slightly used on some online custom knife retailers. Arizona Knives had a few of his neck knives along with fixed blades, and switch blades. Pricey.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
gorgeous knife!

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
That IS a cute knife, although, cute probably shouldn't be used when referring to a knife! I saw that you said they were pricey. Is it sharp?

I don't think I will ever understand why it appears, knife makers , specifically the ones that make the blade and all sundry parts, charge such high prices. I understand about the starving artist and the time to learn to forge the steel, but gee whiz $300 & $400 for a knife? I do love good knives, but I guess I don't make enough to drop that much on a custom knife, when Buck & Gerber are mass producing pretty amazing products.

I DO understand it, but I just don't GET it, if you know what I mean. It's just a question that always arises when I see the knife guy at a gun show, lol.

·
GUNZILLA
7,228 Posts
Pretty and expensive.

·
Super Moderator
41,696 Posts
When I was stationed in Rhode Island back in late 80s/early 90s, I got into collecting knives. I got to be friends with a few custom makers in the area, Bill McHenry, Norman Bardsley, Ralph Selvedio, and a couple more. I got to be a really good friend of Ralph Selvideo (Rattler Brand) whose only source of income seemed to be his knives. He made some beautiful ones and when he had a full belly, he would easily get $500 and up for some of his knives. I waited for his hungry times and got a few of his knives, over time, for about $100 each!

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I don't think I will ever understand why it appears, knife makers , specifically the ones that make the blade and all sundry parts, charge such high prices. I understand about the starving artist and the time to learn to forge the steel, but gee whiz $300 & $400 for a knife? .
At $20 per hour and 2 days to make a nice knife that comes to $300........ that does not include materials, etc. I don't find that at all out of line for a custom knife.

·
Premium Member
5,494 Posts
Not to belittle a custom knife makers skill, mass production has made many tools cheaper & more consistent quality than one-offs. If you need a knife for daily use, mass produced are definitely the way to go. If you are looking to be a collector for unique, original & some day hopefully increasing in value items, custom knives can be a good way to have an interesting collection at moderate prices. $500 to $1500 bucks ain't chicken feed but compared to collectable art or even rare guns, hand made knives are a real bargain.

After my brother passed, I found myself in possession of a number of Randall Made Knives that he had been collecting. Not being a knife collector, I sold them on eBay. Some days I'm sorry, but the money helped me buy a few guns I would otherwise not have been able to afford.

·
Super Moderator
41,696 Posts
When I was transferred out of one Army unit, the members went together and bought me a Randall #1 that was engraved with my rank, name, unit, and dates I was there. When the commander presented it to me, he said they had it engraved so that I could not sell it!!

·
Premium Member
13,782 Posts
Guns, knives, bamboo fly rods, ad infinitum. You can get a Savage Axis that will probably shoot as good as that custom Mauser/Model 70/1903 or a Gerber, Buck or Case that cuts and holds an edge as well as a Randall or Jimmy May Damascus. An $120.00 Cabela's/Bass Pro/Reddington graphite fly rod catches fis as well as a $5,000.00 Dickerson, Payne or Leonard. After that the question becomes which one puts a bigger smile on your face or gives greater pleasure in its use. Some things I'm cheap or frugal about.....some things I ain't.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Nice looking little knife, very unique.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
A $120.00 Cabela's/Bass Pro/Reddington graphite fly rod catches fish as well as a $5,000.00 Dickerson, Payne or Leonard.
Holy Krap!! Where did you find a Dickerson for $5,000?? lol It must have 2 shorts tips and one is a replacement tip with a scarf!! ROTFLMAO

45nut-
You should try making a knife sometime. Then make about 50 more.
When you finally figure out how to actually make a good knife-you'll understand.
My custom knife prices start at $700.
As a matter of fact I have made a couple of knives. Didn't care much for the process. I did better forging a mouse hawk with file steel between mild steel. That's dandy Elk, Mule Deer & Whitetail pelvis splitter!!:) I'd like to be able to split a moose pelvis with it, but alas, my time hasn't come.

I said I understand the starving artist and $20 an hour plus materials, etc, it's just not my bag. It's a matter of priority and my likes. I likes pretty & old classic Granger, Heddon, Leonard, Payne (Jim), Orvis, my Tonka Queen, as well as some South Bend Bamboo rods, English reels and Wheatly fly boxes.

I likes old Colt SAA's and Winchesters and have a few. I like Buck Knives because they make a great knife and they preach the Gospel every time they sell a knife. I likes Ruger bolt action rifles (with the shotgun safety) Savage 99's, Winchesters and their clone Lever Actions in old straight walled & bottleneck cartridges (38-55, 30-30, .32 Winchester Special), and bolt action Remingtons and Brownings in .270, .243, .257 Roberts, 35 Whelen and semi-autos in .30 Carbine, .351 Winchester, .223 Winchester, and I could ramble on, but to each his own.

They're folks who not only don't know who Dickerson, Payne, Garrison and Leonard are and don't care to those of us who dream of owning one of each maker, in each length and weight with a few left over to give to REALLY good friends. Good luck in your knife making!

Rock on my Brothas!!

·
Premium Member
13,782 Posts
I've never seen a Dickerson. I reached into thin air and grabbed a number. Glad you got a kick out of it. Those rods are beyond my willingness to pay for. I'm largely a South Bend/Heddon guy. Granger's always feel too soft for my liking but I do like Philipson's....though I don't have any of either.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I've never seen a Dickerson. I reached into thin air and grabbed a number. Glad you got a kick out of it. Those rods are beyond my willingness to pay for. I'm largely a South Bend/Heddon guy. Granger's always feel too soft for my liking but I do like Philipson's....though I don't have any of either.
I have cast several Payne's, a Dickerson, almost bought an 8014 Guide back in the day. Another lost opportunity. Have not cast a Garrison, but I've been told they are rather slow. I had an 8'-6" Orvis Madison that you could light a cigar on your backcast, but Dude, would that old gal put the line out there.

I've owned all Granger models from 7633 to 9050 with 8040's and 8642's my favorites. I don't own a Phillipson now, but back in the day, I had an 8'-6" Powr Pakt that would cast a streamer the size of a small chicken or a #24 Adams. Major regret over selling THAT rod. To a friend that won't sell it back! I have an 8'-0" Heddon trade rod, that is basically an 8' #17 Black Beauty and an 8'-6" #10 Blue Waters. I have a mid 30's 8'-6" Leonard Tournament that is a joy to fish.

The piece de resistance is my 7-6" John Bradford Legacy III. The Payne 204L 8'-6" 4 WT didn't stay in my hand very long. THAT is a rod regret I don't think about much. Makes me tear up and go boo hoo.
https://jordan-millsrodco.com/catalog Carmine is the best high quality re-seller out there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts