Knife Sharpening

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by dons2346, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Rob Watson

Rob Watson Well-Known Member

As a former Coast Guardsman we carried a knife with a sharp edge and marlinspike as a tool and a life saver. In fact I saved myself once when a line got tangled up and I had to cut it to keep from being dragged overboard in Alaska. I keep a wet stone and steel sharpening hone in my backpack, kitchen, truck, bathroom..., where ever I might need to touch up my blade. You never know when a sharp knife will save your life.

ms6852, tedwitt and sharps4590 like this.
  2. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

I use a belt sander for machetes, shovels, axes and hoes.

I have my scuba knife for around the water, when diving it is so easy ti get hung up in monofeliment fishing line.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2020
    ms6852 likes this.

3. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Hats off to you guys who know how to sharpen knives. I've never been taught how to. I have a good selection of Buck knives - from the 110 I carry everyday to my hunting/skinning knives. I can't get a decent edge on any four of them. Might be the stainless steel blades? I get a razor edge on my old issue aircrew belt knife, but it is just a carbon blade.

A little off topic, but a former neighbor years ago showed me a neat trick for skinning deer and elk - knives dull quickly skinning a large animal: carry a pack of single edge razor blades. Takes the hide right off - and when they dull just use another.

tedwitt and Firpo like this.
  4. Rob Watson

Rob Watson Well-Known Member

Yes sir, I have gotten tangled in it more than once trying to remove it from around my prop.

That is why Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knives are so popular. I had a buddy that used a kitchen butcher knife for the heavy work and a box opener for skinning.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2020
    ms6852, jim brady and tedwitt like this.
  5. Smoke

Smoke Well-Known Member

I don't need a special sharpener to put an edge on a knife. I've been sharpening knives all my life. Every time I put an edge on a buddy's knife he always cuts himself. He had an old butchers knife hanging on his garage wall he called his letter opener. I was over there one evening for a cookout. I didn't have anything better to do so I set with a stone & my beer to put an edge on it you could have saved with. The next day he told me he grabbed it off the wall & cut his hand open. I told him it was sharp. LOL

ms6852 and tedwitt like this.
  6. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

I have always sharpened my own knives. I have a set of Smith stones and a single hard Arkansas stone i use with oil. A couple of inexpensive diamond hones to get dull knives started then finish on the AK. I use a flat file on axes, hatchets & machetes. I have never sharpened a shovel, but sharpen other farm implements with a flat file as well.

All my boys in Rangers knew my knives were deadly sharp!

Broot, ms6852 and tedwitt like this.
  7. tedwitt

Axes and machetes and shovels I use my belt sander on, then the flat file.

Broot, ms6852 and howlnmad like this.
  8. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member Supporting Member

VT, Just under the Nostril of the Witches Nose
    I STINK at sharpening knifes. I even have a guide, but don't you want your knife kinda dull and ragged edge so the skin doesn't close back up easy to stop the bleeding?

Broot, One Shot and tedwitt like this.
  9. tedwitt

Not if I accidentally cut myself.

Broot, howlnmad, ms6852 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I had a Buck years ago that I could not sharpen. Only knfe I had I couldn't sharpen. Remember the ad of a Buck knife cutting through a bolt? That's why you couldn't sharpen them. Along the edge it was rolled so rather than a knife it was a chisel. I have a couple new Bucks and that beveled edge is not there. Maybe Buck got smart! You can't cut a bolt anymore but you can sharpen them now.

My grandfather taught me to sharpen a knife; back in the early 50's so you know it was an oil stone. He did not cut into the stone as is done these days, he drug the edge and when done, stropped on leather. I have a knifemade by Track knives in Montana years ago. They recommend sharpening on 400 grit wet dry sandpaper and dragging the blade finishing off with leather strop. They told me dragging it was easier to maintain the proper edge angle.

I'm much better these days at sharpening a knife. I have my son sharpen mine, he's very good!

jim brady, ScrapMetal, Broot and 2 others like this.