Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

L. Christophe Bruxxelles (jean duchateau) 12 gauge shotgun sxs with photos

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ianp2010, Jul 30, 2016.

1. ianp2010

ianp2010 New Member

Hello,

I recently acquired a 12 gauge sxs shotgun with L. Christophe Bruxxeles stamped on the receiver. It is a beautiful gun and I am having a hard time finding much information on L. Christophe Bruxxelles. So far, from what I have read, Christophe Bruxxels was a luxury retailer of weapons in Leige in the early 1920's. They did not make guns themselves but had guns made for them. Many of the Christophe Bruxxels in circulation were of Jules Bury make as well as some of Jules Eugène Schoffeniels make. I recently successfully identified the gun maker of this particular gun to be Jean Duchateau.

I have attached photos of the gun and any help would be greatly appreciated. The blueing on the barrel is quite nice, id say 95% and barrel length is 27.5 inches.

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender-7.jpg FullSizeRender-1.jpg FullSizeRender-2.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender 3.jpg FullSizeRender-3.jpg FullSizeRender-5.jpg FullSizeRender-6.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Potter likes this.
  2. Potter

Potter Well-Known Member

The ELG is
    definitive black powder proof for breech loading guns, small bore guns and handguns from 1893 Liege ...if it is a Jules Bury..you have done well to get your hands on that as they are fetching good money.....well done

I will have a look see about the other marks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2016
    ianp2010 likes this.

3. ianp2010

ianp2010 New Member

Thank you for your help!

There is little to no information online. I saw a similar model fetch 1800 pounds in 2010 but other than that, no information

4. Potter

Potter Well-Known Member

12c is the black powder proof marks...below the small S is the inspectors proof mark..

5. ianp2010

ianp2010 New Member

I have finally identified the gunmaker. It is a Jean Duchateau!

Potter likes this.
  6. Marblekonus

Marblekonus Well-Known Member

The name was Louis Christophe, Bruxelles. One of his offices was in Bruxelles, capital of Belgium.

Which evedence do you have that's a gun made by Jean Duchateau?

12C in a lozenge is the gauge, used 1898 - 1924.

7. ianp2010

ianp2010 New Member

Hello, thank you for the info. The stamped "JD" on the receiver is a mark of Jean Duchateau. Also after exhausting research I found Jean Duchateau was one of the four main gun makers L Christophe Bruxxels used to produce guns for them.

8. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

I can confirm the JD mark as Jean Duchateau's mark and can add that the nitro proofs are in a style used from 1897 to 1903.

9. ianp2010

ianp2010 New Member

Thank you. Do you know what the approximate value of this shotgun to be ?

10. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but no I don't.

11. Marblekonus

Sorry, I have'nt looked at the picture of the bascule. Shure, JD under crown is the mark of Jean Duchateau.
    Also you can see, the gun was proofed with the British powder E.C. No.3, 2grams, max 31 grams lead (50mm³), barrel weigh is 376,6 grams, lenght and diameter of chamber are 70mm and 20,3mm.

12. ianp2010

ianp2010 New Member

Thank you. Any idea of value ?

13. Marblekonus

14. Old Colonel

Old Colonel New Member

Looking at the stock shape on your gun, it may have been made as a double rifle with an additional set of shotgun barrels. I base that on the shape of a Christophe Double Rifle I own with similar shaped stock.

You are correct that Louis Christophe was a gun retailer in Brussels, Belgium. I believe they were in Business through at least 1959. I have seen letterhead from them with one of their guns that date.

They did not make guns, but did sell everything from best guns through field grade (knockabout/Keeper) guns.

A reprint copy of their 1922 catalog is available on Ebay.

Jules Eugene Schoffeniels was not a gun maker, but a gun engraver, and a very good one at that. He and his father Jules Mathieu Schoffeniels were outstanding. Jules Eugene Schoffeniels son did not become an engraver, but did become a famous scientist.

I do not know for sure how many different firms made guns for Christophe, but through the 1920's many of their best guns were made by Jules Bury and engraved by Schoffeniels

Christophe Double Rifle Engraved by Schoffeniels
    [​IMG]
    Christophe Shotgun Engraved by Schoffeniels
    [​IMG]
    Christophe ShotgunEngraved by Schoffeniels
    [​IMG]

I would very much like to see some of your sources for the information on who made guns for Christophe as it is difficult to find data on this side of the Atlantic.

sharps4590 and Potter like this.