The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am building an AR (first build) and the lower I have selected doesn't have any of the engraving (selector, manufacturer's logo) filled. I want to add the fill myself and I'm just not confident that my ability with paint is up to the task without making a mess so I decided since I was already ordering the handguard I'd throw a few of these Lacquer Stiks in on the order. Was wondering if anyone here has used them or similar products and if so are there any special tips or tricks that will help me get the best results?

Lacquer Stik: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/engraving-tools-supplies/inlay-color-fill-sticks/lacquer-stik-reg--prod7778.aspx

P.S. Hope this is the right forum to ask this and that it's ok to link to a specific product.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I never used them but brownells usually has good support on technical question on there products. i use something called rub and buff for inlay but its a wax and when dry its resistant to just about everything. All I can offer is, don't expect to get it right the first time so have some lacquer thinner near buy to clean up a mess. I usually use toothpicks to control were the stuff goes.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I've been using this product for years for other purposes, mainly in white, and though they name this Lacquer-Stik it isn't lacquer and won't require thinner to remove it. Unless they make different collors with different material you only need a rag to wipe it off. It's about the consistancy of chapstick and the surface of the stick dries forming a crust. When you need to use it you simply slice off the thin crust on one end and go for it.
TIPS: when wiping the inlet area, wrap the rag tight around your finger or even a small block. This helps to control how much filler you remove. The more slack you have in your rag and the thicker the rag, the more filler will be wiped and removed from the inlet. If you want an inlet completely full you fill and strike off the exsess with a sharp edge (razor blade, credit card, etc.). This material dries but does not get extremely hard so I wouldn'd sugest completely filling something that gets handling, like a gun. Leaving it resessed will prevent it from getting scratched out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips all. Going to give the stiks a try on my old junk Mossberg. If it turns out well, will do the AR and if not I guess I'll be having an interesting conversation with my girlfriend about borrowing some of her nail polish :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just want to say thanks for the tips, decided to go with the nail polish and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Looks good!
I've used different colors of finger nail polish on different firearms and havent had
any "bad" issues. And it does seem to stay in/on, cleaning after cleaning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts