The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21,272 Posts
Welcome to TFF Jess

we have a few ladies on here hopefully they can come and give you a ladies perspective on your first pistol
my wife just got her CHL and has been carrying a Ruger LCP in 380

·
Registered
74 Posts
HI Jess, I don't feel qualified to comment on those as I have very limited experience. My gun is a revolver, S&W .380 and airweight. It is the one that felt best in my hand when I held it. And it's good for Concealed Carry.
But, I'd say make sure if feels good in your hand if it's for you.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,072 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

My best friend has been shooting all her life, and has several guns. But when she tried my Sig Sauer P938 9mm, she fell in love with it. What could I do? I got her one of her own for a birthday, and she won't shoot anything else. Sig also makes a .380, the P238, but with only a 1/4" difference in size it makes little sense to carry the lighter caliber.

Ultimately it will come down to what feels right in your hand, so try a bunch of them before you buy. My friend is 5'6" and maybe 110 lbs in a wet fur coat, but she has no trouble handling a 9mm, especially one that fits her hand as perfectly as the Sig. Good luck, stick around, and give us a range report when you pick one!:D

·
Junior Advanced Senior Member In Training
7,523 Posts
Welcome aboard, from SC!

·
Super Moderator
28,029 Posts
Welcome to TFF Jess

we have a few ladies on here hopefully they can come and give you a ladies perspective on your first pistol
my wife just got her CHL and has been carrying a Ruger LCP in 380
This is usually where a highboy burn would come in but since he doesn't come around anymore I guess I'll save it.

·
Premium Member
9,578 Posts
Welcome to TFF.
I am not a woman but I can say my wife carry's a Rugger LCP and is going up to a .38 but has not decided which one yet.
See wants to switch to a wheel gun that is why she is looking for the right .38 one that fits her hand and feels comfortable for her.
Mike

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Hey all! I'm currently looking for more women who could give me advice and input on my first pistol purchase. I have a Ruger 10/22 and I have shot a Glock 30, an H&k .45, and the S&W bodyguard .380. was thinking of a 9MM.
Hello Jess! Good we need more girls around here, first welcome to the forum from Webster, NY.
I have a S&W9 compact and a ruger LC9S in purple! Also a high standard Revolver .22 (in terquise). I love them all and carry the ruger LC9S as my every day peice. I mostly use a alian gear IWB 2.O holster. But also sometime use a Conceal carry purse and even have a flash-bang bra holster for it.
My friend Ashley she has a Sig. P938 and carries in a Alian gear holster also. Another friend Kelly shoots a.S&W 40 shield and she loves the thing and I must admit it is very sweet!
Just find the gun that FITS YOUR HAND! Well also taking in consideration of how you will hide it on your body each day. (Smaller/ thinner is easier to hide, but very light small guns are more difficult to shoot and control).
I wish you could come and shoot with us and just have you try them all to see if you intently like any of them.
Check out Gungoddes.com for great ways to carry. (Purses, corsets, bra, and thigh holsters). Stuff that is just not on the guy geared sites. Have fun shopping just remember no one gun is perfect for all ladies, you have to get the gun that you like, that fits your hand and that you can conceal on your body. You have the upper hand in the element of surprise, bad guys don't assume that the chick has the gun.
Practice often, be safe and only draw it Only if your life or another's life is begin threatened. Hope you never have to us it in that situation. let us know what you get, hope this helps.

Welcome aboard Jess! I was going to post along the lines of Kippy's post. Ladies do have a different need than the guys. My wife likes the LCP because it's light. However, she doesn't like the recoil from the smaller pistols. One of her biggest grips is carrying, guns to heavy in the purse tend to be left at home. Good luck with your choices, practice, practice, practice. Stick around, we need more women here who shoot!

Hi jess. I don't own a hand gun, and I'm not a girl, But I can give you a big welcome to the forum.

Hey everyone! I am overjoyed by the warm welcomes and wonderful responses! It looks like I chose the right community! I get that same warm and fuzzy feeling that I felt when I entered the biker world with the BF. Anyhoo! Steve and I had a very productive day at the range yesterday. I learned a lot about what I actually like v. what I thought I liked. I was most comfortable with the Ruger LCR . 38. I was pretty hesitant to shoot a "cowboy gun", but I try to always be open minded. The external hammer intimidated me, the visible spin of the cylinder and lack of safety made me think it was unstable. WOW WOW what a fun shoot! So, I learned that the .40 and .45 caliber is too much bang for me. I was more comfortable with the 9mm. Now, I shot his BodyGuard .380. I knew a tiny gun would have a kick, but after shooting a few rounds and finding my groove, I'm a fan. It's a great little jobbie that I am considering for a bra holster. I apologize for the randomness. This is not as concise of a report as I wished. Excitement got the best of me! I will come back to list the different guns that I shot when Steve wakes up.

HI Jess, I don't feel qualified to comment on those as I have very limited experience. My gun is a revolver, S&W .380 and airweight. It is the one that felt best in my hand when I held it. And it's good for Concealed Carry.
But, I'd say make sure if feels good in your hand if it's for you.
Thanks! I did enjoy the revolvers that i shot! I will look more into it!

Here's a link to a pretty good site with lots of info and advice:
http://www.corneredcat.com/contents/
Thanks! I will check it out!

here's a list of what I shot:
Sig 1911 subcompact .45
Sig 1911 full size .45
Glock 30, .40cal
Glock 17 gen 4. 9mm
S&W M&P SHIELD .40
S&W 636 airweight .38spl
S&W bodyguard .380
Ruger LCR .38spl

here's a list of what I shot:
Sig 1911 subcompact .45
Sig 1911 full size .45
Glock 30, .40cal
Glock 17 gen 4. 9mm
S&W M&P SHIELD .40
S&W 636 airweight .38spl
S&W bodyguard .380
Ruger LCR .38spl
Guns are like people, every one of them are different! Even within the same caliber. And each one will have a particular brand of ammo that it likes best. Happy shooting! There is so much to learn for a beginner, but it's fun learning it!:D

Welcome to the forum.

My wife shoots and carries a S&W Airweght in 38 spl and really enjoys it.

Check out the Bersa 380. I have sold more of these to women than any other gun....including my wife, she loves hers. Very affordable, accurate and dependable.

Hey Jess from your list it looks like you are looking for a nice compact self defense weapon. The Ruger LCR you shot also comes in 9mms. The 9 is about as cheap a center fire round to be found.Cheaper means more practice. With the right loads it is extremely effective out of that short revolver barrel. It beats the 38special of all flavours. While not quite as powerful as the 357 snub it is pretty close without all the drama. Try and shoot one if you can. My wife prefers a Smith and Wesson 686. I bought her a nice Browning BDR, a sweet 13 shot 380, but she prefers something with " stoppers" in it. The 2.5" 686 loaded with 125 38plus Ps sits in her nightstand at night, the 380 has found a new home. The point of this small ramble, being a lady is no handicap in the world of guns. Figure out what suits you, it doesn't need to be pink or cute.:D
Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
41,332 Posts
Oh hell, I tried to merge a couple of Jess Renee's posts into one and I got carried away and combined this whole page by mistake. I don't know how (or don't have the power) to undo what i did.

I'M SORRY!!!

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Oh hell, I tried to merge a couple of Jess Renee's posts into one and I got carried away and combined this whole page by mistake. I don't know how (or don't have the power) to undo what i did.

I'M SORRY!!!
That job was probably above your pay grade George! :eek: :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey everyone, after trying out different pistols in different calibers and renting from the local shooting range, I've learned a few things about what I like. I have just purchased my first handgun and am now a proud owner of a Ruger LCR 38. Absolutely loved shooting this! I did look for the LCR in 9mm, but they're a hot item and will be back ordered for some time. Thanks for all the advice! Happy and safe shooting everyone!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts