Lake city 243 brass

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Jim Murdock, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Jim Murdock

Jim Murdock New Member

was cleaning primer pockets out of some 243 brass that was given to me along time ago when I noticed some of it was lake city.has to be necked down 308.my question is since it's military brass do I need to drop powder charge down to compensate for thicker wall case.i do this for my m1a 308 brass.shooting 36.8 gr imr4064 pushing 75 gr hollow point in a model 788 Remington

2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

It would be better to use a starting load and work up. Military brass is thicker and does increase the pressures. Unless you have a tremendous quantity of it and keep it segregated, I think it better to send it to the metal salvager for cash and buy some name brand new brass. It is a lot safer that way.

LDBennett

3. Jim Murdock

Jim Murdock New Member

Thanks for the input

4. Jim Murdock

Jim Murdock New Member

Also noticed a .006 difference in datum with them using a hornady case compartor.guess I'll sort the rest and see how many I find.got maybe a thousand to sort

5. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

What LDBennet said, and since it was necked down from .30 caliber the case neck will be thicker also. If you can do a chamber cast and measure the neck diameter of this cast. Load a round and measure the loaded diameter of this. The loaded round neck diameter should be at least .001-.0015" under the diameter of the chamber cast.

6. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

I have used necked down LC case's in the 243. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Start below max and work your way up. Just like switching from Win brass to Rem brass!