Land Grants?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ARB, May 7, 2009.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

A friend and I have been mulling over an idea of starting a 'community garden'. The idea is to acquire about twenty acres or so of land and plant a multitude of vegetables. The locals can come harvest their own veggies. If you want to pay that's okay and if you can't then you can help out for a few hours and walk away with fresh produce.
    The idea is to bring the community together as a whole. It promotes healthy eating, fresh air and exercise. It would be nonprofit. It would be a place where all walks of life have common ground. And you can't tell me it wouldn't be good for the kids that hangout inside all summer. Some of you will know that nothing tastes better than the food you worked.
    Right now we need the community to come together, lots more crime.
    If you have any ideas about how to interest an investor please speak up. Thanks

2. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Uh... what all are you wanting to grow on someone elses land?? :eek::eek::D:D;)

mike
    gn

3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I've seen these in several places and they are pretty popular and successful. Except for the guy in San Diego County who was trying to grow his own rope, they are quite well maintained as a general rule.

Pops

4. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    We've had community gardens here for awhile, they really benefit those who don't have the space or the were with all to afford putting one up. There is a ten dollar a year membership fee, that also gets you a raised plot, and all the help you could ask for. The space was donated by the city. I believed they got a grant that helped out a lot, I'll ask around and see if i can get you an address or name.

5. Yes indeed, those hemp ropes he wanted to make would probably have been quite popular, Pops. :D;)

6. ARB

ARB New Member

Thanks, that would really help. We didn't know if banks would donate money or not. We thought it might help with their image. You know giving back to the community.:)

7. 358 winchester

358 winchester New Member

Contact the local high school and talk to the folks that run the Future Farmers Assoc. and the local 4H club they may be able to help point you in the right direction as well.

8. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    By all means hit up the business community, Its good advertisement for them.
    and there employees would benefit also. Offer them a member discount.