The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The large bore rifle was returned to me from the gunsmith submitting it for proof as the lock was found to be defective. This has now been rectified and is being resubmitted. The following measurements have now been made :
Weight 12 3/4 lbs
Bore between lands 0.919", about 1.01"between grooves
Overall length 51"
Lock had mainspring replaced and action cleaned and polished. Attached some photos, the bullet sitting on Tool Hand tool Wood Household hardware Bicycle part
Wood Trigger Gas Font Metal
the rim of the bore is a 357. Font Symbol Souvenir Artifact Glass

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
That will put a thumpin on ya.
Not on me it won't. :) I'm not brave enough to pull the trigger on a 12 pound six bore. ;) besides, there aren't any elephants or charging rinos around here that I'd need a six bore stopping rifle to dispatch.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not on me it won't. :) I'm not brave enough to pull the trigger on a 12 pound six bore. ;) besides, there aren't any elephants or charging rinos around here that I'd need a six bore stopping rifle to dispatch.
Have been considering using duct tape to fix a couple of bricks to the stock. And maybe nailing my shoes to the floor.

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
Have been considering using duct tape to fix a couple of bricks to the stock. And maybe nailing my shoes to the floor.
Don't nail your shoes down, you won't want to be barefoot when you pick yourself up off the ground. ;)
@soonerfan66, if you want to see huge look for pictures of 2 bore punt guns.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Be sure and post the video of the "shooting" ... I would love to see the damage it does to the shooter .

I love that soft looking recoil pad on that monster ... just plain steel ...maybe people were tougher back then ...
maybe I'm just a weenie for not wanting to shoot it ... but I've alraedy detached both retina's from my eyes and my eye doctor said "no more big bores" ... I keep the note in my wallet ... I swear , I would shoot it but my doctor want let me ... Yeah right ... that bad boy will detach more than a eye retina .
Gary

·
Premium Member
21,586 Posts
40 years ago I would have loved to shoot it. Not so much today.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
White Human Standing Hat Gesture

Yes the photo is outside congress. Think it was a demo to support outlawing its use for waterfawl hunting. They were shotguns though.

That one you have looks almost like an artillery piece with the rifling in it. If I had to shoot yours it would not be on a rest - standing and tight on the shoulder only so your body can move.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Be sure and post the video of the "shooting" ... I would love to see the damage it does to the shooter .

I love that soft looking recoil pad on that monster ... just plain steel ...maybe people were tougher back then ...
maybe I'm just a weenie for not wanting to shoot it ... but I've alraedy detached both retina's from my eyes and my eye doctor said "no more big bores" ... I keep the note in my wallet ... I swear , I would shoot it but my doctor want let me ... Yeah right ... that bad boy will detach more than a eye retina .
Gary
Have been doing some research and one hunter (Baker) of the period recommended an array of guns to the African/Indian hunter. He says at least one large bore rifle that can throw a half pound projectile should be included, though a 4oz projectile could be considred for those of a lighter frame.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
View attachment 274879
Yes the photo is outside congress. Think it was a demo to support outlawing its use for waterfawl hunting. They were shotguns though.

That one you have looks almost like an artillery piece with the rifling in it. If I had to shoot yours it would not be on a rest - standing and tight on the shoulder only so your body can move.
A lot of these still around in the UK, no license needed to own, shotgun license to fire it. I have the major parts for one and plan is to put it into service next year. You can use one for hunting (I believe) but it is frowned on. They are used against birds on the water and it is a no-no to shoot birds other than on the wing (unsporting).

·
Premium Member
17,270 Posts
Sir Samuel Baker. Yes sir, read quite a bit about him and his hunting in Ceylon, India and Africa. Correct me if I err; isn't he the hunter who had the rifle he called "Baby".....and hated? Like maybe a 4 bore, which would be a 4 ounce ball. 8 ounces would be a 2 bore.

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
I think "Baby" was a different man than Baker but it's been a few years since I've read about it. I do remember that when his gun bearers would fire it to clean it they would end up on the ground with the rifle behind them. They gave it the name Child of a Cannon, Baby was the short version of the name.

Reactions: sharps4590

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sir Samuel Baker. Yes sir, read quite a bit about him and his hunting in Ceylon, India and Africa. Correct me if I err; isn't he the hunter who had the rifle he called "Baby".....and hated? Like maybe a 4 bore, which would be a 4 ounce ball. 8 ounces would be a 2 bore.
Heard the story when I lived in Rhodesia, but they said it was Selous. A good friend had a double 4 bore that was centrefire, weighed 27ibs. Only fired it a couple of times before packing it off to a museum. Believe conical projectiles were often used to increase the projectile weight/stopping power. The quoted service load is 330grs of (coarse I presume) BP and a 1400gr bullet. However, going for a ball mould (a little under 3oz) and starting at 220gr powder, once proof passed, following advice from the site.

·
Premium Member
17,270 Posts
I could certainly have my PH's confused as it's been a lot of years since I read about it.

This Wiki article mentions a 4 bore Selous used but doesn't say if it had a name. They do mention it was a muzzleloader. I didn't look up anything on Baker. I do have a reprint of one of Baker's books about game.

Frederick Selous - Wikipedia

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
Bingo! that's the name of the baby's owner. It's been too many years since I read that story.

·
Premium Member
17,270 Posts
Selous, Dave? I stand corrected....which ain't nuthin' new..... :(

1 - 20 of 27 Posts